Danger of Unsuitable Litter Materials

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussy

Reaction score
Is the danger from contact with thebunnies? One of my bunny house has a 6½" deep plastic litterbox. I was thinking of putting activated carbon and somebaking soda to help reduce the odor. I buy activated carbonin 50 lbs bag for fish tank use.

Someone also told me that if your litter tray is really, really deepyou can use cat litter as long as you don't scoop the container whenthe bunnies are there, true?

A deep litter box shouldn't be a danger to a rabbit at all as long as you clean it regularly.

I'm not sure about cat litter. I know the clumping kind is notrecommended because if the rabbit eats it it can be a problem with ablockage. Not sure about other kinds of non clumping cat litter.Clumping cat litter is a no no.

Spring wrote:
I'm not sure about cat litter. I know the clumping kind isnot recommended because if the rabbit eats it it can be a problem witha blockage. Not sure about other kinds of non clumping cat litter.Clumping cat litter is a no no.
The 6½" deep pan has a PVC coated screen on top...so the bunny can't get totouch anything in to box.

A deep litter box shouldn't be a danger to a rabbit at all as long as you clean it regularly.
:yeahthat

I wouldn't suggest activated carbon...if it has fine powder, therabbits could inhale it, and I'm not sure if there would be an adversechemical reaction when mixed with rabbit urine. Using bedding withpine/cedar shavings isn't recommended as the oils in the shavings cancause upper respiratory problems in the long term. I've found that thebest (and cheapest) litter for my rabbit's litterbox is pelleted horsebedding (Magnum, Woody Pet, etc.). I scoop it every day and also cleanthe box out once a week with Nature's Miracle (though a mix ofvinegar/water works just as well). What are you using right now in thebottom of the tray? With regular cleaning and an absorbant litter, odorshould be kept to a minimum. Pelleted horse bedding is also quitecheap, if you can find some in your area. Here it goes for around $7.00for a 40-lb bag.

Hope this helps.... :)

Carbon is really dusty, even the chunks made foraquariums. Clay cat litter is also very dusty and shouldnever be used, even if it's under a grate and the bunny can't touchit. The dust can irritate their noses and eyes.

Baking soda should be okay, I use that in my cat litterboxes. But I don't need to with my rabbits. I use awood pellet litter similar to Woody Pet or Feline Pine, and you can'tsmell urine or poop at all unless the litter is soakedthroughfrom not being changed enough. I buy it in30 lb bags for about $5, and it's much better than anything else I'vetried and I've tried quite a few different brands.

Latest posts

Back