Dandruff

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeworkCrazy

HomeworkCrazy
Reaction score
I recently got an angora of which i rescued. He came to me with mats, a long tooth, and fleas. He has seen a vet and had his teeth trimmed and been checked over. I mentioned the dandruff-looking stuff and they said it was probably just dry skin. The people who had him before me shaved him bald on his rear end and in that general area there are some flakes back there. They are nowhere else on his body. The fur is growing back nicely already.
I've heard that this could be fur mites (and I really hope it isn't!). I would post pictures but I have a hard time with that on this site. It doesn't cause him discomfort or itching, which is why I believe it is not fur mites. Is there anything I can do for him? He is doing everything normally except eating (in my point of view). I think he just doesn't eat very much because his regular nightly veggies fills him up quite a bit but he probably eats 1/4 cup of pellets other than the veggies (but he is also a smaller rabbit I've noticed). He doesn't seem underweight either.
I've also heard this can be a result of overgrooming and I have been grooming him daily to keep his mats and knots in check. I would also like to mention that I have another rabbit that doesn't have this problem and I have had a Lionhead in the past that has had this "dandruff problem" too.

Hello! I didn't know my bunny had fur mites until the vet told me! I guess I must be blind Lol! I honestly saw no flakes and she didn't itch. It shocked me because I have no idea where she could have gotten them! Someone told me the mites can come in on hay? The vet gave her an injection of meds to treat it and I now use Revolution on my bunnies and Guinea pig every month. The mites are hard to get rid of and I had to clean my animal/bird room and cages thoroughly for a good month! The only way to be sure it is not fur mites is to take him to your vet and have them do a skin scraping and look under the microscope. A injection of ivermectin will kill them, possibly a couple injections a few weeks apart and a regimen of Revolution every month if this is fur mites plus thoroughly cleaning the cage and surrounding areas. Good Luck!��

Latest posts

Back