dandruff and bald spots = NO mites???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miloxtuck

Reaction score
I'm new here and need major help.

My holland lop who is about 2 now has been shedding like crazy lately. I noticed he had a bald spot a few weeks ago and the fur is starting to come back finally now but I have noticed some dandruff. The dandruff seems to come and go at random times but I kept hearing about mites so I took him to the vet. They did 2 fur tests and said it came back negative for mites. I have another rabbit and 2 dogs that are completely fine no bald spots or dandruff or anything and they share the same bag of hay, food, and bedding. The vet said my rabbit just has dry skin and it's sensitive.

I know mites aren't always seen but he did two tests on two different parts of his body... is it possible it really could be just sensitive/dry skin?! It's been like this for about a month. And if it is why is he just getting this now? He's never had it before.

I noticed one small spot that looked like it was starting to bald, and looked like a little bit of matted fur but it is dark and my lighting is bad so it was hard to tell im just terrified its mites cause i had a guinea pig that had mites a lot and they're a pain in the butt and i can't afford to keep having to go to the vet all the time. I want to believe the vet but it's so hard when everyone says dandruff is only there when their is mites or something else. He seemed fairly positive and didn't give me medicine to treat anything else and like I said my animals are all fine except for him and they are all in the same room all the time. :cry2

My holland has the same issue between his shoulder on his back. No mites. I would like to know also. Maybe over grooming?

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I forgot to add -

he's eating, drinking, acting, going to the bathroom, everything just fine. it's just the bald spots and dandruff and NO itching. he doesnt groom himself that much no more than any normal rabbit would. it's the strangest thing.

just found a red scab looking thing and some matted fur fell out next to it... pretty sure that's mites and not dry skin. :( :( :(

Back