Dampness under the chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridgette

Reaction score
Hi guys, both my bunnies have very damp under chin, matted fur 48C8F5B9-458C-4E76-A60A-C83655993E55.jpegand bald spot. They would lick it always and pull off their fur. They seem fine, eat fine drink fine and play fine.

they don’t have dental issues, I’ve had them checked. It is from drinking from their water bowl, the water gets to the fur.

any Ideas to prevent this? How to care for it?

Thanks guys

"I've had them checked." -- How long ago, and what did the check consist of? Rabbit teeth constantly grow and they have many molars in the back of the mouth which tend to be the issues and cannot be readily seen without proper tools and often sedation by a rabbit-savvy vet.

The location suggests it is from drooling, which is a common sign of dental issues. Drooling from dental issues often stems from their mouth producing excess saliva to lubricate the mouth, soothing it so they can resume eating and such without feeling the sharp points of overgrown teeth.

You could also consider something like ringworm, though the skin looks pretty flake-free. That being said, if it's on both rabbits, perhaps they were both exposed in a similar manner to it? Unclear and unsure how plausible that is. Please note that rabbits most susceptible to ringworm are often very young, very old, or not age-related immuno-supressed due to an underlying health issues or sub-optimal care conditions.

Regardless, you should have both rabbits seen by a rabbit-savvy vet to get a better look at the area and re-check teeth.

Latest posts

Back