Daily Rabbit Care.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddysRabbits

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It was very short notice for me and my family but, We are getting rabbits tomorrow (we thought we were going to get them on christmas) But my cousins need them out by tomorrow, sooooo, I am still a little fuzzy on Daily & General care.
Can anyone give me their daily routine? & General care? Good foods, salad mixes, bedding, cage size?
ANYTHING. :)
Thanks!

Each person has a different schedule, what they do is what works for them. What I do works for me, but might not work for someone else. You need to find what works for you.

I feed my rabbits twice a day. In the morning and evening I give pellets and hay and give water if needed. I give veggies every other day. Litter boxes are cleaned every other day (3-4 times a week) and scrubbed out at least once a week. Blankets are washed as needed, usually at least once a month.

I feed 2 of my rabbits Oxbow BB/T. These 2 each get 1/4 cup per day and they weight about 3-5 pounds each. The other 2 get Masterfeeds, they are angoras and have different needs, they each get about 1/2 cup a day and weigh about 8-10 pounds each.
Veggies are romaine lettuce (about 2-3 large leaves), 1/3 of a bunch of parsley, 1/3 of a bunch of parsley and some bok choy.
Hay is grass mix that I buy by the bale. I give as much as the rabbits want.

I use wood pellets as litter, a 40 pound bag costs about $6 and lasts me about 2 months. Since my rabbits are litter trained, I don't need other litter in the cage. I use just enough litter to cover the bottom of the litter box. I use fleece blankets in the rest of the cage.
All my rabbits are in NIC cages. I have a 2X3X4 grid cage for my bonded pair. The other 2 have 2X4X2 cages and one has a 1X2 shelf. One rabbit also has a pen that is about 4X8ft.

For a new rabbit, you want to keep the stress to a minimum. If you get a cage with them, keep them in that cage for a little bit so they can adjust. Make sure you give them the same pellets they have been eating and slowly switch if needed. Don't give veggies right away unless you know what has been given and the amounts, wait about a week before you start to introduce veggies. Let them adjust before you do too much.
You will figure you what routine works for you over a few weeks of having them.

There are tons of good threads and library articles on the forum that can give you many details. For a quick list, you can read the articles on rabbitcare.org: http://rabbitcare.org/article-index.htm <-- Many good things for first time bunny owners to be aware of, because it's not always obvious!

Be aware that if you will be caging your rabbit, make sure the cage is an appropriate size. At a minimum, the rabbit's litter box should fit and there should be room left over for the rabbit to lay down and stretch out comfortably without sitting in its own wastes. Make sure you let your bunny out for exercise time so it's not too bored in its cage 24/7! It is important to let them exercise otherwise their muscles will weaken and it won't make for a happy rabbit :( Rabbit proof any areas that the bunny will be running around in. That means protecting exposed cables, power cords, computer wires, computer mice, keyboards, headphones, etc., homework, important papers, and such stuff you don't want you rabbit to "autograph" :)

I feed my bunnies twice a day. They get pellets and freshly washed greens vegetables at that time. Several times a day I will make sure my bunnies have clean hay to chomp on. Some people can check on the level of hay available once a day or so, but mine just eat so much that I have to check at least twice a day. For a list of rabbit-safe veggies and portioning you can read up on rabbit.org.

Fiber is probably the most important part of a bun's diet so you should find out where you're going to get hay for the bunny to eat. A bun who eats lots of hay is going to be a much healthier bun than a bun who doesn't.

I clean my bunnies' litter boxes every 3 days or so and I also use wood pellets as litter. I spot clean the rabbit areas each night so that there's not too much clutter or loose hay or poop on the ground.

When I wake up I let her out of her room to run around while I clean up the floor. A quick sweep and wipe the floor down.I feed my rabbit 1/8 cup of pellets in the morning before I leave for class. Her pellets go in that Go cats go foraging toys they sell them at petco. I put some treats in the other ball. It keeps her entertained while I am gone. When I get back from class I refill the ball again with fewer pellets then I study downstairs so she can run around. I feed her another 1/8 cup before bed. I clean and refill her water bowl several times through out the day. She has unlimited hay.

She doesn't get many fruits or veggies. Just a few tiny pieces of dried papaya and the ends of the romaine lettuce every other day.

I normally have to do a quick sweep of the floor 3 times a day. I clean out her downstairs litter box every 2-3 days using petco's paper litter. The upstairs litter box has cat litter (Blame my parents they don't want to deal with the smell) which gets cleaned out everyday.

She gets blankets for gets bed. The blanket can last 5 min. - 3 days depending on how dirty they get. She has her own room which is about 8x12.

Make sure your rabbits get there daily nose scratching/rubbing. Make sure you wake up early to feed them or else you will have one unhappy bunny who has decided to kick out all the litter as punishment for sleeping in.

Firstly, are the rabbits you are getting, are they origionally outside? Because you do know, they'll have to be kept outside since its winter? Bringing them in a hot house when its cold outside and make them sick.

Thats just going to change your routine up a bit, rather then what a lot of the pet owners on here will say.

Latest posts

Back