Cutting Toenails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover

Reaction score
I just got back from the vet. Yes, I was cuttingmy bunny's nails and I cut one too close. I tried to get it to stopbleeding, but it wouldn't so I took her to the vet. I'm glad to reportthat she is doing fine now, I think I was more upset than her!!! Sheseemed to enjoy looking out the window at the cars on the way backhome, I wonder what the people that saw her were thinking!

Steptic Powder and Cornstarch are very helpful in stopping thebleeding. You can get the Steptic Powder at a Pet Store, you willprobably find it among the cat and dog supplies, but it isusedfor rabbits as well.

You have to check the nail to make sure it isn't oozing, because thatcould be a sign of infection. If the nail is oozing take your bunny tothe vet.

Just thought I would add that to (maybe) save somebody a trip to the vet.

Lissa

That must have been some panic ride to the vet,with the bun bleeding and all. I use styptic powder that isavailable in most pet stores and comes in a little plastic containerabout the size of a 35mm film canister(remember them?) I haveQ-tips, water to moisten the Q-tips, and the powder at hand whenever Iclip nails.

I usually cut nails outside at our picnic table because I worry lessabout making a mess and the natural sunlight enables me tosee the quick more readily, even in darker nails.

Buck

Thanks BunnyLover,

What a Kind thing to post. I'm so sorry for your upset, but am touched that you came to help all of us and our bunnies.
:dude:

-Carolyn

Speaking of cutting nails, I got Megans cuttonight... she looks so cute lying on her back haha, she doesn't likeit, but hey its gotta be done! Peppy's nails have never been cut, butlast time I looked they weren't curled under or anything....He's 10months old now...Anywho, thanks for the advice! If my Bun ever bleedsI'll know what to do!

Latest posts

Back