Cut on Lip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Hello,

My 1 1/2 year old neutered mini-rex male, Toby, has a very small cut on his upper right lip.I just noticed itnow, as I was holding him and giving him craisins.

He has been out of hiscage a lotthis week (and jumping on and off my bed quite frequently). I'm assuming it happened yesterday from jumping off of my bed, but I really have no idea!

So, is there anything Ican put init? Because it's so close to the mouth, I'm afraid to put anything that I have near it.Is thiscause for a vet to look at him?

I will try to take a picture of the minor cut when my boyfriend gets home.

ETA: He is still eating, drinking, and acting normally as well!

Thank you so much,

Kathy

You can dilute betadine in water and clean the cut with a q tip with betadine .

then empry the betadine and put clear water in a bowl ; using a cotton ball you can rinse the cut by squeezing the cottonball into a small bowl of water and applying to the little cut

I don't think a little betadine will hurt at all if ingested but the bun might not like the taste...

Yep, betadine is totally ok for him to lick. I don't think you even need to dilute it. I wouldn't cover his whole face in it, but a drop won't hurt him.

I just cleaned it with diluted Betadine solution.

Also, here is a picture of his lip. I couldn't get a good photo of it, but it's already looking much better. Again, it is his upper right lip.

TobysLip005.jpg

Thanks again,

Kathy

I can see it. Betadine to my knowledge is just iodine?
If that's so he's fine, Iodine can be ingested quite easily without any serious health side effects. It tastes and smells horrible, but it is a vital component in our everyday nutrition. (It's why we have iodised salt).

What does he drink from? Is it a bottle or a crock?

If it's a bottle he could of cut his lip on the tube.

Solution is better than scrub. It's fine to put on the lip, as it is mostly iodine but also contains some other stuff, like glycerin and sodium hydroxide, so you wouldn't want to get a lot inside of them.

I agree that it could be from a bottle tube. It reminds me most of a bite from another bunny, though. Frida had one just like that from getting bitten (probably by Tony) through a gate.

Today, it is barely visibe--I am SO relieved. I've had a bad couple of days with my animals. Yesterday, my cat went to the vet and last night Donnie, one of my bunnies, had some gas.

Toby drinks out of a crock and hasn't had contact with my other bunnies.I don't think I'm going to let him jump off my bed anymore because I really think his bottom teeth cut it or something.

Aftermy nethie, Mr. Evey, jumped off my bed as a baby he had horrible teeth problems for a while (he actually chipped one of his teeth) so I should know better :(

Also, Toby does have a 3 story cage--he could have been cut from jumping around in there.

Thanks for everything :)

Kathy

povidine iodine is not the same as regular iodine which would be extremely painful if used.

( Betadine) 10% Povidine iodine is used as an antiseptic and also pre-surgery to disinfect the skin near and on the surgical sites. It doesn't sting because it contains only 1% available iodine
Glad the lip is better.

good stuff(betadine)-no alcohol,burny,pain,etc.,but be concerned about any facial bruising,,lumps,,and dental problems,..a lump could turn abscess,,watch for any discharges from nose,eyes,ears,..sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back