Curious...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
So, I want to breed my dutch rabbit and my agouti. What would the babies look like? :) Just a little curious.
Here is the mom:
IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

And here is the dad:
IMG_2678.jpg

That was the only pic i had of him on photobucket, and he's with Lily in that pic, so its not the lionhead, its the dutch who would be the father.
Obviously, as it gets cold in Maine, the babies would be born inside. I'm not sure if I can, but if I were to breed them, what do you think the babies would look like? :)

I'm not good with babies, but can I ask why you want to breed them? It might be something to think through since you don't have the financial means to take taz to the vet, maybe bringing more babies into your home may not be the best idea, even if it is only for a few weeks. What if something would happen to mom or one of the babies that needed vet care? Not trying to be rude, just giving you something to think about.

You do make a very good point. I don't think we'll breed. I only wanted to breed as pets, as we had a successful litter before, but we'll hold off; something terrible happened. Pepper, my sweet girl, died of a heart attack. I don't know what happened, and I can't believe I lost 2 bunnies in one week. Call me a terrible owner if you must, but I am just so wildly heartbroken and depressed. Taz is okay, and she is moving into the NIC today. Since it was built for 2 rabbits, we will eventually adopt another one, but not till everything with Taz is settled and life has moved on. I think I jsut wanted to breed Pockets because i missed Lily and Pepper soo much! When I do get another rabbit, I think i will adopt one that is spayed/nuetered already, but I would want baby, so who knows where that will go? I feel like the worst person ever!! WHO HAS 2 BUNNIES DIE IN A WEEK!!??

No I don't think you are a bad bunny owner at all but I wouldn't be getting any more rabbits if you don't have the financial means to care for the ones you have.

So sorry that you lost the two buns, by the way. :(

I did just have to post here that I just found out you were 12 years old. Obviously financial decisions for your household are being made by your parents :) I thought you were an adult so even during the other thread about Taz's leg!!

There are so many rabbits out there it's kind of pointless to breed just pets.
Have them both fixed and then bond the pair, much less stress for all of you :)

Just wanted to add that I agree with Lisa and Susan. Vet costs are certainly a consideration since one never knows when the unexpected will happen. No need to add more potential for vet visits. :D

Agreed! :)

So, I'm moving Taz into her new bunny home tonight, so she'll be at my mom's house (my parents are divorced so me and my little brother go from house to house). Since the NIC big condo isn't fully finished, we made a little cage for her to bring her home in and let her stay in for awhile. We also thought that since she has a broken leg, limited mobility in a small cage could help heal it. Is there anything else to make her more comfortable and adjust nicely? The little cage is nice and comfy, but only temporary, so it isn't the best. I have some hay in there, and towels, and a little tiny litterbox. She still has room to move around. Anything else to help my baby adjust to her new home ?

Don't blame yourself about your bunnies dying. Sometimes these things just happen even though we wish they wouldn't. You obviously love your bunnies. You still have your little Taz, so just give her lots of love and attention. I'm glad you'll be able to have her inside and close to you now. That should be alot more fun for you too. I'm sorry things have been so rough for you lately, but I'm glad you have Taz and your other rabbits to give you lots of love.

The smaller cage sounds like it will be good for her as long as she doesn't have to hop up on anything. It will keep her from moving around too much. She'll probably be a little lonely now, not being with her mom, so you'll want to give her lots of extra attention and nose rubs :)

Yes, I thought so too! One thing: her leg!! I just want to cry whenever i look at it! If someone could get a hold of Geoff, the rabbit vet who is a member on RO, that would be great. Her leg is totally elevated and tucked, and she doesn't use it at all. It's almost like it isn't there. Her hip looks weird though, because of how she's holding her leg up. I will give her all the love and attention in the world, but i want to know: is she going to somewhat recover? Will she always be in pain? Will she be her happy self ever again?
Thank you for the kind words JBun. I was worried people would judge and be harsh, but no one has.

Oh my word, as I was typing this, I heard a squeaking, and i thought it was Taz, so i jumped up, but it wasn't! *Phew!* I got really scared for a second there!

I'll give a little update: Taz seems to be adjusting well, but she seemed bored. I can't really describe it other than "bored". She perked up a little when I had a little paper cup that I was using to scoop poop into the litter box and she head butted it and sort of played. My little dog seems very interested in her, and unfortuanately, he's used to getting all the attention from me, so he'll have to learn to share :)
She's eating and chewing her hay, so I think she's good. I'm keeping her in a quiet room where the dog won't bug her and she can get used to her surroundings, but i will still go in and see her very often throughout the day, (at least, once i get home from school!!) is there anything else I can do for her to keep her relaxed and happy? And, if you look a few posts up, please answer my questions and try to get a hold of Geoff :)

I don't think Geoff has been on here the last few days, but if you sent him a message I'm sure he'll respond when he sees it. I know you might be wanting her with you, but maybe with her being bored and with her leg the way it is, you could maybe put her back with her mom, at least until her leg is healed. If you can't put her back with her mom and if Taz isn't afraid of your dog, then is there somewhere in your house you could put her cage that is safe from your dog, but is also in a room where there are more people around so she won't get so lonely?

I'm not sure what you should do about her leg. I'm sorry that it makes you sad. I'm sure it's hard not knowing how you can help her. The best thing of course would be to take her to the vet, but it's hard to know whether or not they would be able to help her, and I know it's not up to you but your parents. If they'll let you take her to the vet then that's what you should do, but if you can't then just do the best that you can for Taz.

This would be hard for you, but if you could bear to give up Taz, and you could find a rescue that will take her in and get her the help she needs, then maybe that's something that would work.

I got a reply from Geoff! He said most breaks will heal on their own, and its hard to splint a rabbit! So thats good news!
i would love to put her back with her mother, but unfortunately, her mother passed away not too long ago.
One problem with Taz now: she seems a little lonely, and she's sleeping in the litterbox! How do I fix these problems?

I'm sure that was good to hear about her leg :) With her sleeping in the litter box, I would just keep it really clean. If you haven't already, lay a towel or fleece down in the other part of her cage and maybe she'll lay on that. Just make sure there are no strings hanging off the towel that she could chew on.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Lily was her mom. Could you move her cage somewhere else in the house where she'll be around your family more so she won't get so lonely? With her broken leg, you really don't want her playing around too much right now anyways. She probably sleeps during the day when you're at school. So just make sure you spend time with her in the morning and in the evening after school, and she should be ok.

Do you already know about things that are safe for rabbits? Like using a rabbit safe litter (no kitty litter), and after she's 12 weeks old, which veggies and treats are ok to give her? And not letting her chew on carpet and strings?

I'm using kitty litter, I didn't see a certain type of rabbit litter! I know about chew-safe things. How do I litter box train her better? she poops A LOT so I've been showing her the poop, and putting it all in the litter box. I also gave her a little 'grass cave'--maybe you've heard of them, and she loves it! She's more perky today, so I'm glad :)

If you're using clumping cat litter, dump it out immediately. If a rabbit eats it, it can actually kill them. If it's regular cat litter, they are too dusty for bunnies. The only cat litters that are rabbit safe are Feline pine pellets (non clumping kind), and Yesterday's News pellets. Some other good ones are other brands of pine pellets for animals (if you get the wood burning stove ones then you have to make sure there aren't any accelerants added to them), aspen shavings, Carefresh bedding, shreaded paper, Kaytee granule small animal bedding, you can even use hay. You may be able to find some of these at Walmart in their small animal section or the feline pine and yesterdays news in the cat section, or also at petstores, or you can also order them online. Just remember no other kitty litters except the two I mentioned above, and absolutely no clumping litter. You'll also see cedar shavings and pine shavings advertised for rabbits, but you shouldn't use them. They both have oils in them that are bad for rabbits. A lot of people on here like the pine pellets cause you can buy a big bag for pretty cheap if you get the kind for horse bedding or the wood stove pellets. The Carefresh can be kind of expensive. If you use shredded paper you just want to make sure she's not eating it or you'll have to use a different kind of litter.

She's still a baby so it might take her a while to get really good at using a litter box. Is she peeing in there? It might be harder for her to use the litter box right now because of her hurt leg. You'll probably just have to clean up alot until her leg gets better. As long as she's peeing in her litter box she's doing good. Rabbits just usually leave their poop everywhere, but she may get better at it. If you get her spayed when she's older, then that sometimes helps.

I'm really glad she seems happier today :) She's probably just getting used to being in a new place. That can sometimes take a little while. The grass cave sounds good. It's a good chew toy for her too.

A few things about rabbits that are important are being really careful about giving sugary things because in some rabbits it can get them sick. Learn what good rabbit poop looks like because if your rabbit ever has tummy problems, you'll be able to tell first by their poop changing. There are two kinds of good rabbit poop, the normal round ones and their cecotropes. If it's soft, runny, too big and too small, or irregular shaped, or if a rabbit stops pooping and eating, then it means there's something wrong with their tummy. So when you clean Taz's cage, it's always good to just look at her poop and make sure it looks normal and that will mean she's not having any tummy problems.

Here's a good website that will tell you stuff about having a house rabbit.
http://www.rabbit.org/

What kind of hay are you feeding her and are you just buying small bags of it or do you get big horse hay bales?

Oh goodness! We'll get rid of the cat litter. Has anyone else heard of cat litter being bad? She's not peeing in the litterbox either, but I'll just keep putting droppings in there and changing the cage until she gets used to it. I'll go to a pet store right away and ask for RABBIT LITTER specifically. Thank you for telling me this!!

Back