Curious. Do You Let Other People Hold Your Bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
audrinasmommy88 wrote:
Olivia doesnt really let anybody hold her except me and occasionally my daughter. I let people pe her but the minute she gets distressed I simply say " she has had enough, i dont want her to bite you" That usually gets people to leave her alone. One time I was at the vet and these 2 little kids wanted to pet her so I let them (I was holding her). Olivia grunted at them and I told them she was getting angry and she didnt want to be messed with. Their mother got so mad at me and actually called me rude for not letting them pet her. She told me if I didnt want anyone to pet her then she needed to be in her carrier. Let me tell you, I got very upset and told her that it was none of her business and if Olivia bit one of her kids, she would blame it on me because I didnt stop it from happening. And i asked her that if my rabbit had a heart attack because she was stressed because of her kids, would she be paying for the bill....needless to say, she shut her mouth quick.

Omg Rachel....crazy mom!! Yeah, I would have had something to say in that situation too......geesh......

Samara wrote:
Maybe a better option is to tell them "She isn't keen on being held, but if you squat down on the floor you can see her fluffiness better and might be able to even pet her!" I'm a total animal person, I would throw myself on the floor and wait patiently haha.

Oh gosh, me too! (re: throw myself on the floor) I do whatever to be close to an animal! I'm the weirdo that ooohs and awwws every time I see most any animal. I was chasing a frog at our block party the other night. The adults are chilling and I'm up with the kids trying to get the frog to "pet" it :)

I make our grandkids sit on the floor and pet Derby. I explain to them that rabbits carry most of their weight in their back ends and if they kick out being held they could break their backs. Most people that I have said that too are more than happy to sit on the floor and pet him. Derby like our other big rabbits we have had over the years does not like to be held, but being pet is a totally other issue. Just be firm, you are not saying don't touch, just that they cannot hold them. Like to see someone try and pick up a big roddy or for that matter any dog.

I make our grandkids sit on the floor and pet Derby. I explain to them that rabbits carry most of their weight in their back ends and if they kick out being held they could break their backs. Most people that I have said that too are more than happy to sit on the floor and pet him. Derby like our other big rabbits we have had over the years does not like to be held, but being pet is a totally other issue. Just be firm, you are not saying don't touch, just that they cannot hold them. Like to see someone try and pick up a big roddy or for that matter any dog.

Latest posts

Back