Curious as to what killed my previous rabbit...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove89

Reaction score
I don't know if this is in the right spot or not...feel free to move it if it's in the wrong spot...

A little over a year ago I got my first bunny, Max. I got him off of Craigslist. He was full grown when I got him. I found out later after I had him put down that he was originally from a pet store (I happened to go into the pet store and the employee remembered him and his owner who tried to return him after he started having health problems. His owner was banned after that for making a scene). Several months after his old owner bought him he started having seizures. The story I got from the owner (Steven) was that he brought him to the vet and the vet said that the seizures were caused by his nails being too long and that with regular trimmings the seizures would stop. I didn't know about the seizures until after I paid Steven and took possession of Max. It was a "oh, by the way..." kinda thing.
Max was fine for about 1 -2 weeks. He was soooo sweet, he loved being cuddled and wasn't shy or timid at all. The first day he had a seizure for me he had 6 in one day. After 2 days of that I contacted Steven and asked what exactly the vet had said. Steven basically recanted most of what he said and said that all he did at the vet was have his nails trimmed. I really don't think Max went to the vet at all, I think Steven lied. The next day Max couldn't move very well and kept seizing so I took him to my vet the next morning. The vet prescribed him anti-biotics and said if he got worse the humane thing would be to put him down. Within a few days Max became completely paralyzed and he wouldn't eat or drink. He seized several times daily. I wound up following the vets advice and put him down. The vet didn't charge me for the last appointment or to have him put down because they knew how sad I was and how much I wanted him to be okay. Steven said he wanted to come to the euthanasia and say goodbye to Max. He never showed up.
I don't regret getting Max. He showed me how awesome rabbits are, and now I have Weston who looks just like Max. I just wish I would have had more time with him. Even tho I only had him for a few short weeks I loved him very much.
I have no idea what was wrong with him tho, and I would really like some closure.

Last edited:
There are a variety of things that can cause seizures. The medirabbit site has a good listing of the different causes( just be prepared as some of the pics can be a bit disturbing to some people).

I've read of accounts of seizures being caused by kidney disease, and the ammonia build up in the blood causing the seizures. E. cuniculi, tumors, an abscess in the head, head trauma, there's really no way to know for sure without more info, tests, etc. I can tell you for sure though, that it wasn't from having long nails.

The vet I took him to mentioned it could have possibly been a brain access but the nearest vet that does testing on rabbits is in Tulsa, Oklahoma. His health declined so fast it would have been too late by the time I was able to get him there...
Obviously it's too late now to have a necropsy done. It wasn't a priority at the time, I was too upset and I didn't think I needed to know the details about what was wrong. All That was on my mind was that maybe if I got him sooner I could have helped him more.

Bunnies go down quickly. I know this and recently experienced it. With my boy it was within 24 hours and he passed. You can't guilt trip yourself. You tried to do what was best and at least he got to see a vet and didn't have to suffer as he passed. We will all see our bridge bunnies when that time comes is what I believe.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great bunny.

The original owner definitely lied to you. There's no way the seizures were caused by his nails getting too long, and if he did bring her to a vet it must have been a very bad vet.

Given his young age at the onset, I would suspect a genetic problem, but there are many possibilities.

Latest posts

Back