crusty stuff by Shadows mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
So I'm now convinced that when I got my bunnies they werent healthyl..I'm thinking wherever they were before here someone wasnt taking care of them properly...its been one thing after another after another and now its something new!

So this morning when I was giving Shadow his meds for the URI I noticed that on the side of his lip(? not sure if rabbits have lips ) there were 3 little crusty things that looked to be stuck in his fur...so I looked on the other side of his lip and he had a few over there as well...now I'm not sure what it is but I was doing research and found some things about vent disease...I checked his private area and everything there is normal and hes healing fine from his neuter on Thursday.. all his habits are normal eating drinking pooping etc..so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. I took a warm washcloth (I had him tranced ) and wiped them off his face and they came off without problem..they were brownish in color and he didnt seem to be in any pain when I wiped them off. They were kinda stuck in with his fur but it wasnt to difficult to remove them... anyone have any ideas of what it could be??

I recently read a thread about a bunny who ate banana and got the same type of thing happening...he has a piece of banana maybe 3-4 tmes a week ( usually every other day ) sometimes its not a banana but an apple or rasin or some oats but last week it was just banana for treats ( he absolutley loves them ) since his fur on his face is longer could it be possible that it was just dried up banana crust on his face?? I plan on looking at it everyday to see if it returns or see if I see anything else going on there.

He has only mated one time and that was with Spirit. I checked her and she has nothing on her face or private area and looks normal in everyway ( except for the URI but shes taking meds as well )

Rabbits certainly have lips.
scone_0703.jpg

Scone tends to have matted fur under his chin, which sounds a little like what you're talking about. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong, just matted fur, and he's been that way all of his life.
scone_0398.jpg

I would watch to see if the crusts grow back.. It could be a fungal problem which you could have cultured. it also possibly could be vent disease as often the lesions only occur on the mouth and not necessarily the genital area.
So just watch to see if they reoccur...

If it is the ventdiseaseI'm assuming he didnt catch it from Spirit since they only mated once and she has no signs of it( unless its like somediseasesin humans where you can be a carrier but show no signs of the actual sickness ) ..so if it wasthat it would have to be from his mom at birth...if so wouldnt he have shown signs of it way before now? We assume that he is 5-6 months old

Also how long do you think it would take for it to grow back if it does? Within days or longer??

the mom can be the carrier and the babies could show symptoms at any time

if it is vent disease or a fungus should come back fairly soon ( not sure how many days )

I think vent disease is spread not only by sexual contact but by licking etc. So if it does come back that Shadow has it, Spirit should be treated too. I would guess it is a fungal infection, based on what we've seen with other rabbits. If it doesn't come back, don't worry about it. If it does, I would take him in to check whether it's vent disease or fungal. The treatment for syphillis is pretty simple--Pen G injections.

Latest posts

Back