Crohn's Disease in Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Due to my Zoe's megacolon/ gut-flora issues, I've been doing further internet research and ran across a website on (human) Crohn's disease. Zoe may not have Crohn's disease, but she certainly has an easily-irritated digestive tract. (Her latest GI-stasis bout started two days after eating oat hay [mixed with timothy]for the first time. She only had a small amount of it over the course of two days' time.)

The website I've found makes various supplement recommendations (e.g., Rose Hips, Echinacea, Enteric-coated Peppermint, etc.) to reduce the chance of intestinal inflammation. Can anyone speak from experience on this information? (Below isa link to the site for your review.)

http://www.moondragon.org/health/disorders/crohnsdisease.html

Jenk

I have heard some of the infirmary mods saying not to use echinacea because it has alchohol or something in it (not 100% sure but its something like that)

not sure on rosehips either sorry.

I use cider vinegar in my buns water and they love it. It is meant to be good for lots of reasons here is the link to the post I made on it (not sure if it would help but worth a look :))

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34684&forum_id=48

The idea with a rabbit with a misbehaving gut is to steady the ship. We all know that many rabbits do not like changes in their diet. The best way to get a ready gut is to keep things basic. If you do too many things, the problem may very well swing equally far in the other direction and might get worse. Basic bunny stuff. And while I can't say I am ever a fan of herbal and/or holistic treatments (but I am always willing to consider it as part of the big picture) I would never use any herbal treatment while using conventional treatment methods (drugs). Too much possibility for conflicts. I still think a round of metronidazole might work wonders here.

Randy

Latest posts

Back