Critical care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

degrassi

Valerie - Member
Reaction score
My poor bunny Gimpy isn't feeling good again and hasn't eaten since yesterday. This morning when I saw he didn't eat anything over night and was just lying there I started giving him water and some critical care. My question is what is the best consistency for the critical care. I mixed it according to the directions and it started off a bit more smooth and "liquidy"(although it wasn't really liquidy, just looser). Then it started to stiffen up as it sat. For feeding a rabbit with a syringe, which consistency is easier for them to eat. A runnier paste or a stiffer paste? Also I was doing a little squirt of critical care, let him swallow it, then a squirt of water to help him wash it down. Good idea? Or just focus on getting the critical care in since that has water in it.

Also, I've already taken Gimpy to the vet. They weren't too helpful and just said he's getting older and thats probably why he's been having so many problems this year. This same thing happened in the spring and at the time they said it might be his teeth. So they trimmed his teeth but his poops didn't improve and he still eats a bit less then he used to. Now this time his teeth are looking ok and its happened again. Its not complete GI stasis as they can still hear some stomach sounds and his tummy isn't hard or anything.His lungs sound clear. He just isn't eating today and is lethargic just laying there, he looks so sad. So the vet said I could get some more tests done(xray, blood work etc) but that it might not show anything and it would cost over 300-450$.

He's also going to be 8 in January. So I know he's getting older and this might just be problems showing up as he ages. He's lost a bit of weight, isn't as active anymore, doesn't groom as well anymore(problems just around his tail/butt), his poops have been small and tear shaped since the spring.

I just hope force feeding him gets him eating on his own again. Otherwise I don't know what to do. This is also the worst timing. Yesterday my best friend's 9mo baby passed away(complications from Marfan syndrom, a disease I also have) and her twin sister is still in the hospital sick too. My heart is already broken so its hard having to deal with a sick bunny on top of that. So I'm just overwhelmed and worried about Gimpy.

Sorry for the ramble. Back to my question, what consistency of critical care is easier for a rabbit to eat. A thicker paste or a runnier paste? Anything else I should be trying? Opinions on whether xrays or blood work are worth it in an older bunny, what can they show? Would it be treatable? I'm open to any advice at this point.

Thanks for listening

I'd stick with thin/runnier. The extra water content is good. I found it was harder to syringe it when it was thick anyway. Have you tried lots of wet green leafy veggies? I fed tons to my stasis bunny and in short order she was doing great {after a week of bad issues}

Sorry to hear that Gimpy is having problems and all the other worries.
What ever works for you is fine. I usually like to mix CC into a smooth mixture so it is easy to feed with a syringe but not that it is dripping water. Did you try putting CC in a bowl for him to eat?
Is he drinking water on his own?

For sick bunnies, I would give them alfalfa hay and pellets. Parsley soaked in water is also good. Do you have Nutri-Cal?

You could try making a critical care sandwich out of two pieces of spinach (or any other kind of veggies/fruits you can use as "bread"). That's the only way I could get my rabbit to eat it.

I have been to the vet many times for this problem, and only one time did the vet suggest xrays - which I declined. If I remember correctly, from what she said, the xrays will just determine what is clogging the rabbit up (poop, too much food, hairball, etc). I would suggest sticking with the critical care for now. If it continues and your bun doesn't get better, then consider getting the xrays.

Gimpy made it through the night but doesn't look any different. He still hasn't eaten or drank on his own. He's moved a couple times but its very hard for him and I could hear him trying to and making noise a couple times during the night. He's still just laying down but he's atleast holding his head up.

He's not eating anything. I've tried some lettuce, spinach, veggies, his favorite banana and nothing. He won't even sniff them. So I guess I'll just keep syringing him some critical care today and see what happens. I've also given him some Bene-bac yesterday.

He still hasn't pooped since sunday and peed since monday. His tummy does make gurgling noises when I was feeding him yesterday. I got about 1tbsp of critical care and 3 tsp of water into him plus about 1 ml of bene-bac.

At this point I don't know if Gimpy is healthy enough to even go through the tests. They have to give him anesthesia and I don't know if he would make it through that. Last time when he had his teeth trimmed he wasn't this sick :(

They might not need to put him under for xrays. My rabbit only got slightly sedated, and that was so she didn't move around when they were taking the xray. Since Gimpy is already kind of lethargic, they might not need to give him any sedation. He might lay still on his own.

Have you thought about taking him back to the vet? This sounds more serious than the normal "feed him Critical Care, he'll eat on his own eventually" that I usually go through. Your vet might suggest some medication for gut rot, which could be causing him a bit of pain and discouraging him from eating?

Valerie. what about pumpkin or baby apple sauce.

When Daisy was sick and not eating I gave her those 2 along with the CC. I found (on someones suggestion) to use a smaller syringe. I found this so much easier to give her all the food I had to syringe in her. It took a bit longer but I found it was much easier on he (mouth).

Prayers for Gimpy.:pray::pray::pray:

Susan:sickbunny:

I think the most important thing is to keep him hydrated if he is not drinking. Do you have pediatric electrolyte and simethicone? A vet might even use intravenous liquid to help rehydrate him.

This morning he was still looking bad but he seems to be picking up a bit.

About 4 hours ago I was giving him his CC and some water. He was still lethargic at this point but he was moving his head away as he didn't like it. Yesterday he didn't fight it at all. I put him back in his cage and he attempted to clean off his face a bit. So I was encouraged, as yesterday he would just lay back down and not move.

Then just a little while ago he got up and drank a bit by himself and I think he ate a couple of the strands of hay I had put beside him, his pellets haven't been touched though. I've also seen him sitting up a bit. Which is better as yesterday and this morning he was only laying down.

I was gone for a few hours at the hospital so I still have to check if he used his litter box. Hopefully he did, there are no accidents on his cage floor.

So thankfully its looking a bit better. He's still not doing good but I'm more hopeful then yesterday. I"ll keep trying to give him different foods and make sure he stays hydrated.

Checked his box and there was a small amount of poops. They were kind of small and tear drop shaped but its a start.

He perked up a bit when I came in the room and sat up while I checked his box. Then he laid back down. So he's less lethargic then yesterday and was able to jump into his litter box.

I have to go back to the hospital but I'm hoping he'll eat a bit more while I'm gone. I have a buffet of his favorite foods laid out for him.

Ugh, i'm just glad he's not worse. Thanks for listening guys

Gimpy's activity seems to have returned but his eating hasn't returned to normal. He's eating hay, which is good, but he's only eaten about 1 scoop(around 2 oz) of pellets since tuesday. Usually he eats twice that(4oz) every night. Poops are still small too. Drinking is ok.

I'll just keep his cage stocked with tons of hay and hope that gets his tummy back on track. Hopefully he starts eating his pellets again.

The best thing I've had success with for older/sick rabbits is Nutri-Cal for cats/dogs. You also give less of the Nutri-Cal than critical care. It's excellent for healing, energy, and overall health. Expecially good for getting calories into the older rabbit that isn't metabolizing its food effectively.

Latest posts

Back