critical care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 kg = 2.2 lbs. So if your rabbit weighs 6 lbs, then you'd want to feed for about 2.7 kg... which would equal 8.1 tbsp daily... divided into smaller meals thru the day.

I was giving Jacub about 4 tbsp per day, and he weighed 3.5 lbs.

Good luck... I hope your rabbit picks up soon!

I called the vet and since she's like 5.5lbs they said to give her 7.5 tbsp daily. i'm shocked cause she likes the critical care this time around and hates the meds so she switched her taste around! hah. she still eats hay, she had romaine this morning and some pellets but they said giving critical care too will definitely help. she gets gi stasis every year at the same time. this year 9/10, last year 9/13 and the year before 9/20. lets hope she pulls through again!

Good luck! Make sure you soak the critical care really well, with extra water. It can absorb a lot of water, and if you give it to her not as wet as it can be, it will draw moisture from the GI tract, making stuff slow down even more.

I don't know if I've heard of that, but it sounds like a good idea. However, I would try to get unflavored pedialyte for that, since too many flavors together might not be appealing. Critical care is typically apple/banana or licorice flavored.

From reading critical care's ingredients, it may already have the electrolytes that are in Pedialyte.

Actually, using Critical Care in a stasis situation might not be the best thing to do. While Critical Care is an excellent product, it does a couple of things in the gut. First, it sits heavy. If there is an impaction, the added pressure might not be a good thing. And second, Critical Care will dehydrate itself. Hydration is the first attack on stasis and it is also the most effective. We have had rabbits in stasis for over a week. Stasis is always a symptom of something else. Look at your husbandry protocols and look at what is being ingested. Food, fur, carpet...things like that. Every rabbit that is in stasis is dehydrated. Hydration before nutrition.

And I have mixed CC with water, Pedialyte and LRS.

Randy

tonyshuman wrote:
Good luck! Make sure you soak the critical care really well, with extra water. It can absorb a lot of water, and if you give it to her not as wet as it can be, it will draw moisture from the GI tract, making stuff slow down even more.
I do it to the point where it's liquidy but not too watery so its got alittle solid to it.

Latest posts

Back