Crepe Suzette and Benjamin Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRabbits

Reaction score
Our dear Crepe Suzette, a sandyFlemish Giant doe,died one year ago today after giving birth to eight lovely kits. We rushed the kits up to Suzette's breeder in Pennsylvania, who had a California doe who could foster them. Ma Doe did a great job with the kits. They all made it. We kept four and sold four. One is now a Grand Champion, living longer than her poor young mother did, and expecting a litter on December 15.

Sam, the father of Suzette's kits, loved Suzette very much. She was the only doe he had ever been with, and they courted a long time. When Suzette died, we had her laid out on the living room loveseat. Sam discovered her there, hopped up beside her and sadly groomed her dead body. We had the kits in a cheese box then, and we showed them to him. I think maybe he smelled Suzette on them and had some idea where they came from. I do not know. When we had Suzette cremated, we had the plaque engraved with "Sam Misses You." Sam has never been the same, and I know he still misses her. Suzette was the light of his life. This evening I will give him carrots and cilantro and take him to bed with me and talk with him about Suzette.

I still grieve Suzette. It's hard to describe. I hope she knows her kits are all well, and Sam is well, and that she is fondly remembered. I hope she holds no regrets at leaving us when she did. I certainly wish we could have had her longer. She wasn't even one year old. It was just a life which seemed unfairly cut short; she gave her all for her kits is the only way I can understand it.

The two-year anniverary of Benjamin Bunny's death is in ten days. He was our first Flemish Giant, the most outgoing and friendly and lovable rabbit I have ever had. He died when he was just short of six months old due to surgery complications after he broke one of his rear legs. I suppose when Ben died, I mourned him more immediately and thoroughly than I did Suzette. The grief is not so poignant, and sadly the memories are no longer so clear. I went through several months dark depression. The depression really did not pass until we got our second Flemish Giant, Sam, the kits' father. Sam celebrated his two-year birthday in late October. He has grown so much it's hard to believe, from a somewhat bratty boy into a sweet-tempered man who loves to be snuggled in bed.

On my workspace, I have a digital photo frame. I have put the SD card in that has the pictures of Suzette and Ben. I will remember them fondly today. I have been so blessed to have them in my life, I cannot express it adequately.

so sorry for your losses. We hit the one year anniversary of Mr B's passing a week ago, and Lilly's is next month--hardly seems that long, and, we definitely do miss them even though we we're lucky enough to have them with us for a much longer time. Our Commander Bun-Bun has been gone for a year and a half and we still talk about her and miss her--something about your very first bunny makes it harder to get over. Plus, today we are having to put Ted down. He's a rescue, so we don't know how old he really is but we do know he is old--got to be more than ten. His body started shutting down on Saturday so we had to wait till today to see the vet--they think it's cancer and it's definitely time to say good bye big Tort Lop boy.

I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your losses.

I also wanted to add that you are the reason that I fell in love with Flemish Giants. Back when I was still living in Pennsylvania I started doing research on them and in doing so found your blog on Benjamin. I found it all very touching.

Thank you for inspiring me.

Latest posts

Back