Crazy rabbit noises

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ana_The_Dreamer

Reaction score
Nessa has been making some extravagant honks and squeaks lately. I finally managed to get a recording of a small session.
Are these noises normal? I'm not touching her or messing with her in any way, she just goes bonkers.
That "ACK" noise towards the end (followed by my, "Oh my gosh!") was her (I assume) choking/hacking.
Is this just hormones?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZHqduCkQE&feature=youtu.be[/ame]
(If the youtube link doesn't come up, let me know please.)

That seems unusual. Is she unspayed? It could be hormones but yeah, they are quite extreme. Is she constantly making the noises non-stop or only when someone's approaching her or she's in a bad mood?

She's not spayed, no. The noises aren't non-stop, but they are quite often. Mostly when I'm walking by her cage or something is making noises in my house. Sometimes though, she does it when no one is around. Just starts flipping out and pacing back and forth.

If you can get an actual video, it might be more helpful, as body language can also help us see if this is just a normal rabbit behavior or if she is distressed in some way.

OMG that sounds JUST like our old girl Thumper sounded like when you opened her cage and put your hand in. She wasnt spayed either and she grumped and growled and lunged at us whenever we reached in her cage. She was the sweetest rabbit when you took her out of her cage though. She would also grunt and growl like that if you touched her bum. I was never sure exactly why she did that other than perhaps cage aggression. She never really bit though. I am sorry I don't have more clear answers, but know that we had a rabbit who made noises JUST like that!

My female Lily used to make noises exactly like that for the first few weeks of bonding her to our male, Squeeven. She made it whenever he tried to groom her, especially her bum, so I think it's territorial/a warning sound.

I am assuming it's a territorial/warning sound as well. She doesn't ever do it out of her cage, unless she's cornered. I wanted to get an actual video of her doing it, but my camera lens is screwed up and won't focus. Basically, she just loafs up, puts her ears back, gets all wild eyes, and makes all those crazy noises.
I've heard her honk and grunt many time before, but this is just so extreme sounding, lol!
She sounds like a brooding hen. I'm waiting for her to lay an egg. :p

Ok, well without seeing her body language and just going by the sound, it does sound a bit like what one of my girl buns does when I pick her up. It's a bit like a grunty whimper, if that makes sense. It's not an aggressive grunt, but a definite protest that I'm doing it and she doesn't want me to, but is consigned to the fact that it's going to happen.

So if I had my guess, I would say that your bun is doing something similar. She's upset and a bit nervous about whatever it is you are doing, and is doing a gutteral whimper to let you know.

Latest posts

Back