Crate or Pen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flirtycuddle

Reaction score
I am going to be getting a new cage this weekend hopefully for my bun but am undecided on whether to get a crate or a x-pen. They will run me about the same cost to buy but not sure which is a better fit. My bunny has free roam as long as some one is home and right now the cage is 30in long x16in wide x14in high with a wire bottom but the door latch has busted. I do live in a rented house but she has no issues with the bunny and he does not chew the wood just likes to dig the carpet or eat sheets.

Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.
A crate is smaller than an x-pen, but is fully enclosed and has a bottom tray. You can also add a shelf and it is easier to move the whole thing intact. A pen is bigger, but does not have a bottom or top, so you may need to make your own. It is also harder to move around as you might need to take everything out. Pens are more versatile as what you can do with it, such as taking it outside or using 2 to make a much bigger pen.

If you get a crate, you really don't need to do anything to make it more bunny friendly. You might need to make something to go around the edge, but if you don't use litter in the whole cage it should be ok. If you get a pen, you will need to have a floor of some kind and maybe a top f your rabbit is apt to jump out.

I use both. My custom, off the floor pens are 24" x 48". The one crate I use is 30" x 48". I'm not sure of the height, but is is very tall. These are all used for single bunnies. Obviously, the crate is larger and I use it for the bigger bunnies. Also, if I have a jumper.

I prefer pens - they're bigger and can fold down for travel (my buns come with me when we visit parents and in-laws, and travel to friends' houses for pet sitting). I think crates are great too, but I think you get more bang for your buck with a pen. I have an area rug under my pen which is great for traction (the bunnies are so much happier with the rug than my previous flooring) and because it just looks homier and nicer in my house.

just save the trouble and get NIC grids lol. you can make a top for it if needed, it's cheaper, and you can expand it to how ever you need it and customize it to your liking. all you need to do for a floor is get the vinyl flooring that comes in rolls. i'm just a little bit addicted to them lol.

Actually cuz of the area I live in the only place I can find the grids without paying shipping is walmart and that is $25 for a box. I can order a pen off amazon for $36 that is 30in high and 8 panels and free shipping. The crate would be $45.

o_O too bad you dont live here. canadian tire has them and it's 33.something after taxes for 16 panels. dont you guys have something like canadian tire? i think i remember something like it on my way down to florida once for a cruise

AquaticRex wrote:
o_O too bad you dont live here. canadian tire has them and it's 33.something after taxes for 16 panels. dont you guys have something like canadian tire? i think i remember something like it on my way down to florida once for a cruise
The Canadian Tire ones are expensive. I can go to London Drugs and get a 13 pack for $19.99 or $14.99 on sale. I am not paying $10 extra for 3 grids. The connectors that come with the grids aren't that great either. I did buy several pack form Canadian Tire when they first started carrying them for $10 each, they have not been that cheap since and it has been 3 years.

I believe that Home Depot has the grids, not sure of the price though.

I live in a small town with literally a walmart and not much else or I could get them at Kmart for $19.99 for 16 grids. The hardware store here doesn't have the grids either. With the closest town with a target or Kmart an hour away and no car it's hard to get to. Gotta love small town living sometimes lol.

lol i'm getting it cheap, i just put it on kijiji that i'm looking for panels, 50 cents for each panel. i have someone on hold till the 15th for 60 panels. i'm doing a major expansion and also putting a lot to the side for if i decide to adopt another bunny while down south from the Windsor humane society.

I've posted that I was looking for grids even added pics and still had people email with metal shelving like you would use in a garage or the plastic ones made by rubbermaid. That was after saying I wanted them for a cage lmao. We ordered the crate for him on Saturday, now just hoping he doesn't decide to stop using his litter box once he's moved in

careful lol he just might stop his habits and you may need to start again lol. and yea i know what you mean. the only reason i'm believing this woman is cause she said she used the NIC grids for her rabbits before they crossed the bridge of old age.

LOL wouldn't be the first time he had to learn to use the litter box. When we got him he had his whole cage as the potty with wire floor. Had to find just the right box with a grate on it and finally was able to take out the wire floor even though he keeps giving me looks like "wth" lol. The cage should be here by the end of next week at the latest.
I figured saying I wanted them for a cage would show not the shelving unit but guess not.

Latest posts

Back