Craigs List users..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I post in Columbia CL - ironically, a couple weeks ago, I posted my Easter-bunny re-think post in both pet & farm-garden section - not a peep or flag - it stayed up there the whole time...it only takes about an hour and now my posts get flagged and deleted.:X

I have been posting on my local craigslist for a few weeks now.

When I get flagged I just post it again. I haven't had anyonee-mail mesaying nasty things, a couple people thanked me one lady said that after reading that rabbits live 8-10 years she will not be getting a rabbit forher kids.

Even if I only changed that one lady's mind I succeeded in keeping one rabbit from a neglectful home.

~Hayley

I posted all over the MI craigslist pets section. So far, none have been flagged. I think the key is in the title, make sure its something not so obvious. I did "want a rabbit for Easter?". So far Ive gotten a few emails thanking me for my posts.

" I think the key is in the title, make sure its something not so obvious."

Yes, I've adjusted my strategy...I simply posted: Easter bunnies and then gave a link to the local pet/rabbit rescue that fosters out animals...so far, no nasty posts or flagging.

Hayley said:

"one lady said that after reading that rabbits live 8-10 years she will not be getting a rabbit forher kids".

:highfive: Way to go, girl!

Haley -- Looks like someone "revised" your post in A2:

"This post, as much as I agree with your over-all goal of discouraging people from buying rabbits as some pet for a child to discard once easter is over, is not all together true. I have been breeding/raising/showing rabbit for 16 yrs now and can tell you that the personality differs in each rabbit, just like it does for any animal. SO, here's my revision of your post.

Before you bring a pet rabbit into your home at Easter, please consider these facts: (these are your opinions, not facts....and here is my opinion.)

- Rabbits are NOT low-maintenance pets! They require as much work as a dog or cat.
Rabbits actually are low maintenance. You feed them and water them daily, and clean their cages depending on what kind of set-up you have that might only be once a month (for outdoor coops where the poop drops below onto the ground).

- Rabbits can live 8-10 years, sometimes longer.
this is true.

- The necessary spay/neuter can cost $100 or more
It is not necessary to spay/neuter UNLESS you are caging more then one animal together. There are ways to teach a rabbit not to spray.

- Rabbits require routine veterinary care.
I have never take a rabbit to the vet for routine care. Cause they do not require vaccines or any other type of shots. You can buy an oral wormer and unless your animal gets sick there is no reason to take it to a vet.

- Rabbits are not cuddly - they can become frightened when held!
(They would rather sit beside you and be stroked.)
My rabbits love to be handled. My 5yr old plays with them in the yard and carries them around. She also just sits there and pets them on her lap or pretty much whatever she wants to do with them. It depends on how much the animal is handled, if you handle it enough it will be just as "cuddly" as any other animal.

- Pet rabbits cannot be set "free" - it's a death sentence.
this is true.

This Easter, why not make it a CHOCOLATE bunny, or a cuddly stuffed toy instead?
Let's make it a Happy Easter for bunnies too

I totally agree, but please don't make rabbits sound like they are some horrible creature that will scratch your kids face off. You can tell them the pros and cons to having a rabbit instead of saying only the cons. This is why I do not "adopt out" (I call it selling but CL people tend to frown on that even though that is what it is) rabbits at easter time unless it is to a established breeder/shower. I also do not sell anything that is not showable and/or breedable, I butcher them. This feeds my family and keeps the pet population down...it's a win win situation.

Just my two cents :)"

The reply to my post on CL got flagged but mine is still there!

I got this email from someone today:

LOVE IT!!! Thank you for puting this info out there. That goes for baby chicks too!!!
Helping bunnies one at a time :biggrin2:

When I put the post up, I never got the email to confirm and publish the post. Today I did it (made a CL account) and it did work.

luvthempigs wrote:
The reply to my post on CL got flagged but mine is still there!

I got this email from someone today:

LOVE IT!!! Thank you for puting this info out there. That goes for baby chicks too!!!
Helping bunnies one at a time :biggrin2:

I got this to. I also had many already rabbit owners ask about my cage set up I put a picture of storm cage so people could get the idea of how big there cage needs to be.

So a lot of homed rabbit got bigger cages also.

luvthempigs wrote:
Well my ad is still there and here is a response that was posted back to the forum:

"A bunny can be a terrific pet for a child but it does depend on the child. Does the child REALLY like animals or just like the idea of the "play" part of having an animal? I got my first rabbits when I was about 8 and then both lived until I was in high school. I always took care of them myself and it was relatively easy to do. I later raised rabbits for awhile.
While it may not be a good pet if the child is totally irresponsible, for one that is responsible, it is a good pet to teach a child about tking care of pets. They are not high maintenance at all as was stated and have their benefits over other pets like a dog. You can buy a 25lb bag of rabbit food for about $5 and it will easily last a month or two. Also, a rabbit in a proper cage is much like a bird. With the food and water feeders available today, you can easily leave plenty of food and water to last for at least two or three days if you go away. The biggest concern, like most animals, is whether the child will feed, and very importantly, clean up after the rabbit whether in a cage or litter trained. Don't count on litter training though, some rabbits just won't use a litter box or even a tray in their housing no matter how much time you put in trying to achieve this. I have 4 chihuahuas, one uses a litter box religiously, the others..well....they are NEVER gonna use it. Most rabbits usually only live 6 to 8 years, 10yrs is really rare, so it's not a bad pet for a child if you don't want to be taking care of their pet when they grow up and leave the house. A better choice may be a hampster which will live only 3 yrs on the average, obviously needs a lot less room to house, and also easy to feed. The cages with the slide out trays also makes it easier to clean and to help remind the child of cleaning up as you teach them without the pet sitting in filthy substrate. The child learns about taking care of a pet and the parents are not stuck taking care of a pet you don't want for 10 yrs.
I would not give a bunny to a child less than 7 or 8 yrs old unless you want it to really be YOUR pet in regards to taing care of it properly. After that age, they are more than capable of the minimal care needed to take care of a rabbit."

Wow I don't like that reply..... That person doesn't really sound like they know what they're talking about... "Most rabbits only live 6 to 8 years. 10 years is rare." Really now? What about some of the rabbits that live to 16 and older?

Emily

Latest posts

Back