crackling air bubbles under skin after sub q fluids

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonyshuman wrote:
I think if it were something other than an infection under the skin, like lung or GI damage, he'd be really sick. A tear in the intestines would lead to sepsis pretty quickly, I think.
I have seen a rabbit that had a tear (very small) in the intestine continue eating etc for almost a week, as if nothing had happened. This particular rabbit was acting like he was in slight discomfort, however.

Not trying to scare SnowyShiloh though, like I said in her other thread I had thought that Rory's bubbles were due to the sub q injection and I do still think that, even if it seems like excessive air bubbles under the skin. There could have been air inside the sub q bag. A little bit of air feels like a lot under the skin.

I do think it was a good idea to put him on a precautionary Baytril, I would do the same. And the Benebac is a great idea too.

If the crackling does not go away within 48 more hours, it means new air is generating and at that point the cause should be re-evaluated. The thing about metaclopromide is that is is REALLY unlikely to cause intestinal rupture, IF the rabbit has a gut that is somewhat moving. If the rabbit had a gut that wasn't moving at all, and there appeared to be an obstruction, rupture is much more likely. However, I got the feeling that Rory was not obstructed, so I think you and him are in the clear :)

Keep us posted!

I would assume that infection would take more than 12 hours to cause signs like that.

SubQ fluids can lead to air under the skin (regardless of the sterility of the injection site or needle) if there is any air trapped in the line, especially. Occasionally bags will get some air trapped inside, and this creates air bubbles that flow through the line and into the pet. It seems like a lot of air in this case.. but I wouldn't expect that crackly sounds 12 hours after fluids is anything more than air...

Look how cute Rory Bean is! I just want to boop his nose!

That dream sounds just like me--I frequently say "moose" instead of swearing, and I really want to have a webcam to watch my bunnies all day. Not really 12 years old, though...

DazyDaizee has a good point about bubbles in the line causing the crackling. In any case, I hope it goes away soon.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Ooh, also, MyHeart, the vet said this definitely isn't normal. He has so many bubbles under his skin. On his back, sides, stomach and flank. About 30 square inches of his body has crackles under the skin, almost anywhere you touch him crackles!

Oh Geesh.... Something else for me to worry about with Luna and her sub-q's...:nerves1

myheart

Sorry about the delay, I just got home from class. Today and yesterday I was super busy with school, got 2 hours of sleep last night and still have to finish a project that's due online tonight. Unnngh. As for Rory, he still has his crackles but now they're pretty much limited to his back. He's also still not completely back to himself, he hardly touched his pellets today while I was gone though he did eat a little piece of pineapple and some parsley. He ate a little romaine lettuce too.

Aw, Rory's being so cute tonight... He's binkying like a crazy bunny! While I was at school today he also spent a lot of time chewing up the carpet in his cage. What the heck, he isn't eating much food but will eat carpet?! Not exactly what his body needs right now. He still has bubbles but they're only on his back over his spine, hopefully they'll be gone by this time tomorrow. He's also nearing the end of his shed and I only got 1/4 the amount of fur off him compared to a few days ago. Of course, now Skyler is in a crazy molt. I'm a bit concerned because the backs of Skyler's ears are really dry and flakey. He has ear dandruff! It's not on the inside though and it isn't hurting him, he seemed to enjoy me scratching them.

DazyDaizee wrote:
I would assume that infection would take more than 12 hours to cause signs like that.

SubQ fluids can lead to air under the skin (regardless of the sterility of the injection site or needle) if there is any air trapped in the line, especially. Occasionally bags will get some air trapped inside, and this creates air bubbles that flow through the line and into the pet. It seems like a lot of air in this case.. but I wouldn't expect that crackly sounds 12 hours after fluids is anything more than air...

You should always open the line over a bucket or pailand run the line open with solution flowing out until you don't see any bubbles in the line .

I learned this as a nurse.

DazyDaizee wrote:

Clostridium can spread in the skin so rapidly that signs can sometimes be noted within an hour.

In the intestinal system, it can cause death within hours.

Pam

angieluv wrote:
You should always open the line over a  bucket or pail and run the line open with solution flowing  out  until you don't see any bubbles in  the line .

I learned this as a nurse.

At least at the animal hospitals I've worked at, this has always been the case, and I assume it's common practice. I know that in Vet medicine, the same SubQ fluid bag is commonly used on different patients, which just the needle being changed. Though I've never seen it cause problems in the way of infection or disease spreading, I have seen bags that have already had the lines cleared of air end up with more air in the line as the bag is moved around to different areas to treat different patients. So perhaps the person administering the fluids just didn't realize?

Pam: Good to know about Clostridium. I've never heard of it being related to SubQ fluids before, so I didn't really think about it.

DazyDaizee wrote:
Pam: Good to know about Clostridium. I've never heard of it being related to SubQ fluids before, so I didn't really think about it.

It could actually be spread during any procedure.

Pam

Back