Couple of questions... spaying/bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloverRabbits

Reaction score
So I have two does who are 9 week old sisters. They have never been apart. I would love for them to be a bonded pair and always live together, and I realize I will have to spay for that to go well! My question is, how long will two does typically be okay living together before they will start fighting? I know every bun is different but I guess around when will they start? Now my next question, how much did it cost you to spay/neuter? I have already been looking around at different places and the cheapest I've found with a really rabbit savvy vet is $260 per spay and $250 for a neuter! (I have their 9 wk old brother who I may find a home for still but if I don't he will be getting neutered). Is this outrageous? I keep reading on here like below $150, less than that, etc. I mean if I have to do all three that's almost $800!!! And my last question, one of the places gave me an option of laser or not for a spay. What's the difference? Thanks so much!

I am getting my girls spayed in a couple of weeks. The vet is charging $200 per rabbit. I found a place near my parents that charges $80$80 for males and $140 for females. I found this place after i found the vet i am going to

Costs depend on where you live, & I assume Mass tends to be expensive. They often offer a discount for multiples, though.

As to when they get hormonal & territorial, it might start at about 3 months.

mine's charging me $210 per spay, which is a little on the high side but he's very experienced and, given the whole "rabbits and anesthesia" thing, I'd rather pay for quality than look for the cheapest option.

I know with boys it starts around 3 months... with girls, it's more like four. I have two girls, one 12 weeks and the other 13. they've yet to get into a single fight with each other so I've still got them together - I'll separate them at the first sign of bickering, but until then I don't want to force them apart 'cause their "baby bond" is so adorable.

once I see a fight, I'll keep them in separate pens but beside each other until after they're spayed (my vet said 4-5 months; I'd like to hold out for 5 since they're so tiny) so that re-bonding them for real will be easier.

you'll have to separate the girls when the bickering starts, since the more they're allowed to fight with each other pre-spaying, the harder it will be to bond them for real once they're fixed - they remember fighting with each other and can hold grudges over it! as long as their cages are close enough for them to still see/smell each other (but far enough apart they can't fight through the bars/grids) once you separate them, you should be able to more or less preserve their "baby bond", giving you a head-start on the bonding process.

I payed $400 for my one girl to get spayed, then switched vets. Ironically the vet that is better with rabbits is also cheaper- $175 for males and $225 for females. So it sounds like your vet is not outrageous. Li Imbrium mentioned, the anesthesia is trickier than for cats and dogs. It's much safer, but more expensive, to use isoflorine gas rather than an injectable because they have more control over how deep the bunny gets and can change levels instantly.

It's been four years since I've had my girls spayed and i think they were $200 each. It was nice, since I got it done before any bickering started, that they stayed together and went in for surgery together.

Depending on the rabbits you may be able to keep them together until they get spayed. You just have to watch for any fighting and be sure the put an end to that. I kept my girls together, but separated them at night when I wasn't watching. I kept them on either side of an xpen so they could see, groom, and lie next to each other, but I didn't have to worry about things getting out of hand while I was sleeping.

Like others said price depends on where you live and the available vets in your area. There are SO many places that spay/neuter rabbits near me (all trust worthy as well, usually spay/neuter at least 2 rabbits per day). I pay $80 for a neuter and $105 for a spay. As long as the vet does lots of rabbits I wouldn't be too worried. The actual procedure lasts 10-20 minutes (nesters taking less time). It's a very quick procedure and vets who see rabbits are incredibly competent.

Hello, I can't remember who it was but a member recently had 2 buns done, 1 with laser, 1 without. Maybe search to see if you can find that thread? :)

The vet that I am getting my bunnies spayed at offers a laser surgery. They charge $400 per rabbit for that along with additional charges that they spring on you. That was out of my price range so I am going with the non laser surgery. Hope that this helps.

Thanks everyone soooo much!!! Well I found one place where all they do is low cost neuters and its very cheap compared to what everyone else charges, but I would definitely have to investigate further when the time comes. For the spays, I've found some more places so I'll give them a call, but I know the one place only charges $30 more for laser and from what I've read it would be worth it for that little bit more. Thanks everyone! You've been a great help, and I think so long as everything goes as planned I will just keep the brother and have a trio... Fingers crossed!

As a side note rather than starting a new thread, what do you think for names? The sisters are Annie Oakley (Annie) and Calamity Jane (Callie or Jane though I like Calamity but not the meaning of it...). Sooo I originally named the brother Renner when he was very little (he was always the incognito, blend into the background one, so then I thought Bourne Identity, then Jeremy Renner and voila) but I was thinking Clyde Barrow might be cute to stick with the outlaw theme.... So whatdaya think? He's a super spunky REW :D

Thanks in advance if you read all that!!!

Latest posts

Back