Couple of questions about baby bunny diets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexyRex

Reaction score
I've never had a really young rabbit before, so I'm a little nervous about what to feed her. The shelterhad her down as 7mo but I don't see how that could be. She's TINY and only weighs 1.5lbs. My other mini rex was about 4 months old when I adopted him and he weighed about 2.5-3lbs if I remember correctly. I think that she is anywhere from 8-12 weeks tops. I'll post a pic of either me or Chris holding her so you can get an idea of her size. They won't give you food that was being fed from the shelter, so I have to completely change her over. She on Oxbow 15/23 now along with a mix of alfalfa and tim hay. If I remember correctly she needs unlimited pellets, right? Also, she was munching a romaine leaf when we were at the shelter so I let her have another one last night, just one leaf. Is that ok or should I wait? She had some runny poop Sunday night, but I think that was from the stress of being moved to a new home. They firmed up later that night and have stayed firm (and plentiful!)

So, I am free feeding her Oxbow 15/23, unlimited alfalfa/tim hay and maybe a romaine leaf every other day. Is that ok?

She's a mini rex, here's a pic of her:

Dec28_0012.jpg

HOW CUTE!!!!

I was told by a breeder that when rabbits areyoung they should be on free feed. Of course this may only apply to flemish giants. I dont see why the same wouldnt apply to a mini rex.

I'm not a fan of Oxbow by any means but the diet you have your rabbit on sounds great. I feed baby rabbits free choice. Those growing bones and muscles need lots of nutrition. I also add other veggies....in very small amounts and one at a time.....during this period. Kale, dandelion greens and carrot tops are all high in nutrition.

What a beautiful rabbit.

Randy

Ive never used oxbow. I have used Buckeye before and im currently using manna-pro SHO formula. If you dont mind me asking...what about Oxbow didnt you like? Just soI know for future referance

When we picked Berry-Boo up, she was about three months old, I believe. She was just over three pounds. There is no way your girlie is that old! We fed her Oxbow alfalfa pellets mixed in with the BBT stuff. Unlimited pellets until she is older. Then you have to cut her back. By the time Berry-Boo left, she was getting 1/4 cup daily (1/8 AM and 1/8 PM). I hope that makes sense? I also hope that helps!

Back