Couple of newbie questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeaker

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm going to be getting a Holland Lop as soon as I have everything ready for him. I'm repurposing an old dresser for his house, he'll have almost 19 square feet of floor space, however my question is, how tall does it have to be, he'll have 4 different levels, but I want to make sure he has enough head room. Also, how long would a bale of Timothy hay last for one bunny? He'll have different bedding for his bed. He'll be kept inside and will have the run of several rooms during the day, I also plan on having him neutered. Thanks in advance for the help, I just want to make sure everything is just right before bringing home my new bunny.

Because he's a lop you don't need quite as much head room, but on at least one of the level he needs to be able to stand up and reach to his full height. Bandit's cage has two levels, he can stand up fulling with his ears up on the bottom level. The top level is tall enough for him to hop around and for his ears to be up while he is sitting.

How much hay you'll need will depend largely on your rabbit and how much storage space you have. I buy what they call "small square" bales from local farmers. It lasts for at least 3 months but we were feeding 2 rabbits out of it. My rabbit will put away hay like it's going out of style so he eats a lot. Your rabbit may not like hay as much but you should change it out daily at least so they have fresh regardless.

If you live close enough to farmers, put some feelers out for "small square" bales of hay and you can usually find it for less than $10 and it's a MUCH better deal that you get at the store. Just make sure the hay is "horse quality", not made for cattle.

As long as your bunny can stand up my time legs it's tall enough. And yes you should always get your rabbit neutered or spayed because otherwise they can be very territorial and mean they will be harder to letterboxed train

If you plan on getting your bunny neutered anyway, have you looked at getting an already neutered rabbit from a rabbit rescue? It's a great way to go. Not only does it save you the cost of neuter surgery, but it allows you to choose a bunny based on personality.

Once a bunny is fixed, their personalities become evident (not so with babies). And getting a baby isn't going to translate to "oh, if I hold him often as a baby, then he'll bond well with me." That doesn't work with rabbits.

Another advantage is that fixed rabbits litter train quite easily (if they aren't already) That means you get to keep your new cage free from litter training 'accidents' and bunny will be set to roam about those rooms sooner than later. ---With a baby, you may need to delay that roaming until after surgery when he's better trained. Pee accidents from babies are hard to reverse because the smell remains and then you also have to "un-train" him from going where he wasn't supposed to go.

Just some thoughts to consider. I know there have been several RO members who were advised to get already fixed rabbits but they were set on getting a baby. Afterwards, they admitted that they wished they had heeded that advice and avoided that baby stage.

Latest posts

Back