Couple bunny issues...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDove200

Reaction score
Okay. Things have been wild since I went to my best friend's house. I took my rabbits with me because I didn't want to leave them alone for the weekend. Thumper is neutered, but Winnie isn't, but they usually get along fairly well. Winnie is a lionhead and I think he's only about 5 months old. Thumper is an adult, but he's so affectionate and Winnie is so affectionate they just kind of adopted each other. Albert, the abused bunny I found, was SO matted he could barely move. I told my friend I was taking him, no ifs ands or buts--he was her mother in laws rabbit and she just threw him in a hutch and completely neglected him other than to give him a little bit of food in the morning. My friend was like, by all means, take him.

He's got a few bad cuts from the blasted scissors and a little bit of hutch burn. Thumper decided to freak out on Winnie too and chomp right through my poor baby's ear. They all play together--kinda, with me right there with the spray bottle--but it's all a little touch and go for now. Does anyone have suggestions on a medicine I can treat the cuts on Albert with? And for Winnie's ear? I've been putting neosporin on it but I was wondering if there was something better.

Wish me luck on rebonding them too. I need to get Win and Albert neutered but that might have to wait until income taxes come back in January. Albert is about two years old, though, so I don't think the urge is there as much... Bah, I think I'm just a little frustrated. I'm by no means a new bunny mom, I'm just a new house rabbit mom (had rabbits when I was a kid who lived in a shed--I've since learned better).

Neosporin is probably the best option at this point. Make sure it doesn't have the pain killer stuff in it. Can you post photos of the wounds?

Getting everyone neutered is probably your best bet on getting the boys bonded.

Hello and welcome to the forum. So kind of you to rescue Albert.

Since you're asking for suggestions...first off, I'd be very careful about keeping the 3 boys together (if you are). Some serious fights could break out and potentially lethal wounds. Once they are all neutered, your chances will be greater, but male/male bonds are not the easiest. A threesome is even more difficult. It could very well be that you will need to house them separately for their own safety.(if you aren't already) If there is animosity going on now, I suggest separating them. Any fights now will only decrease your chances of a successful bond after they are neutered. So even if they are only playing together, you won't want them to have any bad interaction at all. It may be best to let them play separately.

As a side note, I noticed the mention of yogurt drops by your member info. I know they are popular in petstores but really are not good for rabbits. Here's an article about it:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/yogurt.htm

We'd love to see pictures of your bunnies!

Winnie and Thumper are back to grooming each other and cuddling, and also getting along in the cage when they have to. Winnie is grooming Albert too. It's not as bad as I made it sound, I guess. They have to share one cage since it was a spur of the moment rescue with Albert. Well, Thumper does as he pleases since he's litter trained and neutered and I don't have to worry about him spraying. If he gets too annoyed he just opens the cage and gets me like "hey, don't let Winnie out." I'll get a picture of the cuts later. Albert looks awful from his hair cut.

Oh, the yogurt chips are a RARE treat for Thump. He usually takes one bite then throws it on the floor. XD

Glad they are getting along as of now. I still agree that neutering is probably the best bet to keep a bond.

As far as pics, upload your pictures to a free software like photo bucket or picasa. Go to upload photos to Gallery here on RO. Once your gallery is built, you can post pictures in the thread by hitting reply (instead of quick reply at the bottom) and use the little G icon to retrieve the pics.

you can also skip the gallery part (at least if you upload w/photobucket) and just post straight from photobucket into the thread. either copy/paste the bottom link (the img link) directly into the reply box or if you use the reply button rather than the quick reply, you can copy the second link ("direct link") and then click on "insert img" (second from the right on the top toolbar and paste the line you copied from photobucket.

Latest posts

Back