Could you tell me about your bunny adoptions??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinksMama

Reaction score
I'm writing an article about buying a bunny, and I'd like to include information about adopting from a rescue or shelter. I've done some research but have never done it my self so don't really know that much first hand. If you'd be willing to share your stories with me that would be great!! If you'd rather not post it where everyone can see feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance!! :)

Hi of course I can help out!
With rescuing a bunny, it's super important to go in with an open mind. You may be looking for a holland lop that is black or maybe a certain colour or breed. Don't. Rescue bunnies come in all colours and shapes and they are likely to be a mix, when I adopted Pembrooke. I took 2-4 looks all on different days, I spent time watching her and looking at her personality. Rescuing from a shelter tajes time and dedication, it does not take a day to adopt your new friend. Sometimes it will range from 2-5 page applications, interviews, home inspections, house interviews. Which can all take anywhere from 1 week to 4. It's really stressful during this time for you and for the shelter, don't expect them to be speedy. But after all this stress you can finally relax especially with your new bunny.
Hope this helps!!!!!
Jj

I have adopted 2 rabbits from my local humane society. With both if them, I looked online to see what they had. Since I tend to look on a regular basis, it did take some time to find the right rabbit. Once I saw their picture, I knew they were for me. I went into the shelter and found the rabbit room and asked to see the rabbit. After visiting (and with Sophie, seeing if she and Korr would get along), I went to fill out the adoption paperwork. This shelter does the spay/neuter after the adoption is done, so we set the date to do that and I picked them up the afternoon of the surgery.
The adoptions were done a few years apart. With Sophie, I was looking for a companion for Korr. I had e-mailed to make sure I could bring him to meet her. They seemed to get along, at least they weren't attacking each other or anything. Korr mostly wanted to hide in a corner as it was he first time really out of the house and going somewhere. I saw her picture as a few days later went to adopt her. The paperwork wasn't too hard, mostly info, pet history, what vet I use and housing and such. She got spayed, I took her home and that was pretty much it. The humane society work with local vets so you can get a free check up after adoption.
With Sean, it was pretty much the same process. I didn't really intend to get one when I did as it was shortly after Sophie died. I saw if picture (and had been kind of wanting an angora), feel in love and had to have him. I was a bit worried I wouldn't get there in time as it was a few days before Christmas and they were closed for a couple days. He was in a different room than the other rabbits (he as bigger so got a bigger room to himself), so I had to find someone to ask so I could find him (a bit scary thinking he might have been adopted or something). He was a bit shy, but I knew he was the one for me, so I filled out the paperwork to adopt him. Due to a big of a busy time, it was a couple weeks (2ish) before I could take him home as he needed to be neutered. Turns out he had been neutered before coming to the shelter as they thought he has just pulled them up due to being scared. So he got a shaved belly and tattoo. Sadly about 7 months after he came home he had some medical issues (not totally sure what, but I now suspect some dental issues) and he passed away in my arms.

I managed to fall in love at first sight and was lucky enough to be able to adopt them.
I think that having a connection with an animal (no matter where or how you get it) is important.

petfinder.com is where I locate the animals I have adopted. It started with Rebecca from the Chester County SPCA, the cutest little mini-lop you could ever want. Then I became obsessed with rabbits and wanted to make her as happy as can be. I wanted to do bunny dates to find her a friend so we went to the PA/DE HRS.

Cinderella (pointed mini satin) wanted a mate so badly and Rebecca didn't really know what to do with another rabbit. After coming home they ended up fighting and never totally bonded. I was hoping having a third would help them bond. The two girls went on dates at Luv-n-bunns. They picked Houdini, an english angora.

Cinderella and Houdini created a strong bond right away. Rebecca was lonely so I kept my eyes open. Indiana Bunns was an abused bun that had medical issues. He came home and was a wonderful husbunny for Rebecca until he passed.

After Indiana Bunns passed Rebecca was very sad. Gheridelli needed a home and was welcomed. After all, no one can resist a mini rex.

I believe letting rabbits pick out their own mates is important in the bonding. It still doesn't always work out, but it is much easier in general. It's like letting them marry for love rather than having an arranged marriage. They will be spending much more time together than with any person so it should be their choice.

A couple weeks ago Cinderella passed. Houdini was so sad and wouldn't eat. He picked out Sophie (NZ/Flemish mix) from pawsabilities rescue.

Becky and Gary are therapy buns. Sophie isgetting used to usand has made Houdini very happy. We have a very happy, crazy house of bunnies running around.

This is my favorite group photo:

371.jpg

The two most different rescue stories (others have been rescued from people surrendering them directly) have been with fosters from the humane society. On both, we were looking for a bunny and popped over to the humane society website. We looked through the bunnies in foster care and found an albino Nethie who was three years old. Her description said she was "fun and energetic". Something about her picture and the fact that she'd been in foster care for nearly three years called to my dad and he was like "we need to adopt this bunny". We went to visit her and it turns out that "fun and energetic" meant "smart but not social at all". She was not a snugglebun at all, but my dad thought she was super cute and we adopted her. It took about a week for the papers to go through since we'd never adopted from the Humane society. She was a smart rabbit, easily trainable, but never got snuggly (think of the bunny from Monty Python).

A few years later, my dad was rabbitless and so we were looking on the humane society website from him (my sister and I had both gone off to school and he was needing a fluffy companion...apparently rabbits are viable substitutes for kids). He found one he liked on the humane society website, and called me and so we went to the lady's house. She was a weird animal hoarder (the humane society needs to screen their fosters better). She had like 15 cats and 10 bunnies. She didn't have enough cages so the bunnies alternated between carrying cages and guinea pig cages. We didn't know she had so many bunnies. She brought up the one my dad had been looking at and she was just a lump. I don't think she moved the entire 20 minutes we had her out. She brought up a few more, and my dad was torn between lump bunny and a friendly black rex. Then she brought up a bunny who had been in a carrying cage. She was a Havana and lop mix, solid black, with helicopter ears. My dad fell hopelessly in love. She had been rescued from outside and nourished back to health and was now in this horrible foster home. We filled out the paperwork then and there, and the crazy-pet-lady took the bunny to the vet a few days later for her spay. We got her the day after. She's a mischevious little creature, but cute as can be.

Hope that helped!

I too started with petfinder. Chicago has a great private shelter that takes only rabbits, cats, & a few small dogs, so that's where I got Honey. All the pets are spayed/neutered before they're put up for adoption.

Last year around July I bought a Holland lop doe from a breeder; I had her spayed, and while she was sweet, she seemed lonely to me. I am a full time graduate student and she would often rattle her Xpen bars for attention while I was sitting next to her working on a paper. She seemed happy enough, but I thought it might be good for her to have a mate... and I wanted another bunny, too.

So, I decided to take her to the humane society and have her choose a mate. Previously, I scoped out the list of adoptable bunnies on petfinder.com. There were only a couple of neutered males available, and one was very cage protective, so I didn't think they'd get along--Olive has since learned to share, but she was very territorial in the beginning of the bonding process.

So, technically, Olive only went on one date at the bunny shelter. Her bunny date was a New Zealand White buck who was named "Junior" (I changed his name to Simon). The date was ok--they ignored each other, and there was a little chasing at first.

Brought him home, and they did initially fight, but after about two weeks of consistent, daily bonding sessions, they finally settled down and are now fully bonded.

One of the reasons I was glad to have picked Simon is that big white bunnies with "those pink eyes" get passed over a lot, especially in shelter situations with no one to give them full court press. He grew a little bit, but is actually kind of on the small side for a New Zealand (four lbs, and he appears to be done growing) so I think he must be a mix.

I hope these two little ones will be with me for a long time, but I'm pretty sure next time around I will adopt a pair from the humane society or a bunny rescue; it's a lot of work to bond bunnies!

I found my sweet Rory on Petfinder. More specifically, another forum member who lived in the same town as me sent me the link to his page. That member only ever made like 10 posts on the forum so I'm very glad she happened to see him and tell me about him! The funny thing too is that 2 of the 3 pictures on his Petfinder page were not of him, but of a rabbit that looked similar. Regardless, I thought he was really cute from the photos (or rather, thought the other bunny was really cute!), my husband agreed we could get him, and we went to the shelter the next day. That day just dragged by because I was afraid someone else would come in and adopt him. At the time our shelter only charged $5 for rabbit adoptions and people sometimes (seriously) would adopt a rabbit just to use it for meat, and rabbits didn't stay at our shelter long. He'd already been there a week, which was longer than normal. Thankfully they have increased the adoption fee now to I believe $50 so people aren't buying them for meat.

When we got to the shelter, it took the worker a while to get him out of the cage because he was scared, but he settled down in my arms pretty well. It was basically love at first sight when I held him and I had to hold back tears. I hadn't had a rabbit in 5 years and really, really missed having one in my life. Rory took several months to get used to us and relax completely. He took to me right away (and would only take food from my hand or from someone else if he saw me give the food to them!) but took several months to come out of his shell and relax in our home. We've had him 4 1/2 years now and have adopted several more bunnies since, but he's still my #1 :)

I can share some pictures of my adorable Rory if you are interested.

BTW, regarding the "meat" reference, I have to say the shelter near me, sold their animals to testing labs before they got caught. Hopefully yours doesn't do it either. Because labs don't care about how much animals cost or hurt.

Just food for thought.

K:)

I just adopted 2 bunnies on Thursday. I found them on Petfinder. They were at the local SPCA, but that shelter primarily deals with cats and dogs so their bunny knowledge was not as high as I would have hoped. This shelter is unfortunately so overloaded that the rabbits (while their physical needs were met) were just kinda..there.

A domestic rabbit was abandoned and taken in by some good person and after she was taken in she had a litter of 12. 6 of those ended up at this shelter. I adopted the last two of the litter.

There was a "donation" of $10 each, I filled out an application and a contract stating I would take good care of them and I brought them home. This shelter does not spay/ neuter rabbits and they were not helpful in my search of a vet that would do so.

I'd love to see pictures of Rory! :) I'm thinking about putting some pictures of adopted bunnies in the article. I'm in the process of writing a bunny guide so this is one of many articles I'm writing. :)

Hey MiniLopHop! I thought I was the only one here with rabbits AND box turtles! lol! I have an male eastern and a female ornate. What kind are yours?

Tinksmama - Try looking in the introductions forum. Most of us posted our adoption stories there when we joined.

Good luck with your article.

golfdiva wrote:
Hey MiniLopHop! I thought I was the only one here with rabbits AND box turtles! lol! I have an male eastern and a female ornate. What kind are yours?

Yeah, I just had to do a the tortoise and the hare photo :)

They are three toed box turtles, one boy and one girl. They are so cute and follow each other around.

Unfortunately it is illegal to have Easterns in PA, they are really beautiful. Ornates are really pretty too. I would love to see pictures.

I saw Mumford on petfinder.com and knew he would be a good match for my existing Layla. He was timid, shy, and somewhat skittish they said. Layla was spunky and active and I'd had a pairing like them before and knew if he bonded to her, it might help him open up. I also fell in love with him upon seeing him. I set up a meeting (after petfinder stalking him for a month) to see how he would do with Layla. Here I am, about two month's later with the two of them bonded and so totally attached I wouldn't have it any other way.

Benefits of adopting:
Already know personality
Can already be litter trained
Can be socialized with other animals already
Usually vet checked
Usually spayed/neutered
Save a life!

Since he was already neutered he didn't have an adoption fee to cover the cost, but I paid the $50 adoption fee anyway and told them to use it on vet bills for new incoming rescues.

More than general experiences I would mention these:

After cats and dogs, rabbits are the most surrendered animal in the United States. This does not include the number of rabbits believed to be released into the wild.

The small animals in pet stores are bred in mills that (if you can believe it) are just as, if not more, horrific than puppy mills. Even small stores that get their rabbits from "breeders" NO responsible breeder would give away litters to pet stores because they do not get a hand in picking where their babies are homed.

Rescue does not have to be through an established organization. At least where I live, I would say that 40% of the people rehoming animals on Craigslist are rehoming rabbits under two years of age.

Latest posts

Back