Could rabbits die of sadness of dying of a fellow rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmaketbi

Reaction score
I brought two rabbits together, Male and a female, they were together for 3 months however recently the female rabbit just died and the Male rabbit looks terrified , I tried to let him go out but he looks like he is looking for the female rabbit which recently died, now he doesn't eat as much, and he doesn't walk as much and he stays in one or two places. I am really worried it been 2 days since the female rabbit died and my mother told me that we will get new rabbits by Friday which is 4 days from now. What can I do to make my rabbit better. He is shivering and makes sounds when I move the cage .

Hi,

Do you know why the doe died? I would be worried that whatever it was the reason might now effect the buck too.
What's the age of him and the doe, and is he neutered?

What sounds does he make, even when he is scared by the cage being moved that doesn't sound like a typical reaction to me.

I would put him in a very quiet area, mostly cover his cage with something like a sheet so he feels more protected(but still making sure there is enough air flow), maybe provide a cardboard box with an entrance and exit hole cut in it so he can hide in there if he wants, and just try not to disturb him too much besides checking on him to make sure he is eating and drinking enough, and only doing minimal cleaning as necessary. If he isn't eating or drinking very much or at all, then it may be necessary to start syringe feeding him a mush made from his pellets, or he could just end up starving himself and getting GI stasis.

I would check his ears and if they seem really cold then I would also provide a rabbit safe warm pack set next to him to help get his body temperature up to normal. A hypothermic rabbit isn't going to want to eat or drink.

First she had a swollen toe, then she started to have a red urine, the weather was cold and I spotted having the female having fever . Then the 2 days before the the maid mistakenly fed them iceberg lettuce the female rabbit ate a big amount of iceberg lettuce the yellow rabbit ate a small amount . And the weather was hot, the air in Dubai is hot, and from time to time I touched the female rabbit she had fever but I cooled her by spraying a little of water and fanning her and then her fever went down , that was long ago, but now when the maids told me they said that rabbit had a burning fever and the night before she jumped on a bucket of bleach, she didnt get soacked, just her feet and her legs.

If she was exposed to pure bleach, she could have gotten poisoned by it.
Can I ask you one more thing , I have a very green grassy back yard, my rabbits used to enjoy playing outside, do you think it is better for the Male rabbit to stay in cage or he can play in the backyard?

That could be the reason why she died and he is looking sick. You need to thoroughly clean their hutch and @JBun should know more about how to do this.

@Augustus&HazelGrace they may not have or need vaccines in Dubai, so that could have nothing to do with the cause of death. With the rabbit having been exposed to a dangerous amount of chlorine, that is the most likely cause.

Can I ask you one more thing , I have a very green grassy back yard, my rabbits used to enjoy playing outside, do you think it is better for the Male rabbit to stay in cage or he can play in the backyard?

It depends on if your yard is safe from predators and what your temperatures are like. If it's very hot, above 85 f degrees, then I would only let a rabbit out in the early morning and evening when it is sufficiently cool. It also needs to be safe from predators and there should be sufficient shady spots if the rabbit will be exposed to the sun.

If it's much hotter than that even in the early morning and late evening, and it's cooler indoors, I would keep the rabbit inside. If it's too hot, if a rabbit can't get out of the sun, a rabbit can get heat stroke and die from it. It's important to know the signs of heat stress and try and prevent them from occurring.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/
http://www.rabbithaven.org/overheating/

Latest posts

Back