Could any one help me get an age estimate in Clover?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started my bunnies on veggies right at the 12 week mark as per the HRS suggestions and they were eating large amounts of the veggies that had already been thoroughly introduced by 3.5-4 mos....
....if someone preferred to wait until 6 mos to introduce veggies to their bunny, I certainly wouldn't try to tell them they shouldn't. however, if owner and bunny (and bunny's digestive system) are happy with adding veggies to the diet starting at 3 mos, there's nothing wrong with that either.[/QUOTE]

I think it's even more important, though, to ensure young bunnies get the additional nutrition they need if you're replacing some of their pellets with veggies.

Jennifer, I'm sure you took the time to select the veggies yours' needed to replace some of the nutrients they would've gotten from a regular pellet ration, but I bet not everyone does. I think it's safer to not reduce the pellets and just use veggies as a treat during the time they're growing.

when I say I replaced some of their pellets, I mean I cut them back from about a cup a day to about 2/3 cup a day (each) and was giving about 4 cups of leafy greens (for two rabbits) each day (and I was only limiting pellets to begin with at the direction of my vet due to Gazzle's weight issues) - NOT that I cut them back to an adult ration of pellets. they definitely SHOULD get more pellets than an adult until they're done growing... but I don't see how replacing a third of a cup of pellets with 2 cups of various leafy green veggies could possibly cause them to not get enough nutrition, especially if they're eating alfalfa hay (which mine were).

When I got Xena from the breeder she said once Xena was being weaned she ate what mommy ate which was all kinds of vegetables. I got her at 16 weeks and yes, she would eat any vegetable I fed her. Now I'm sure it's an individual rabbit thing, but my Conan started eating vegetables only at the near six month mark and to this day is pickier about his greens and adjusted a bit worse then Xena to them. So there is a lot to be said that two different breeders raising rabbits in two different styles have very wonderful and healthy rabbits, and I'm sure the same goes for advice by various rabbit societies. I think the best thing to do is read everything, experiment carefully and know your rabbit and don't stress the perceived rights and wrongs, just what works for you.

Latest posts

Back