Could a straight eared rabbit's ears fall?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

I'm just curious if it's possible for a rabbits ears to lop as it gets older? Poppy will be three in march, and has very loose ear control. They are usually helicopter ears, straight up when she's alert, or one or both down when she's relaxing.

I can make her ears go down just by petting them, then they bounce back to helicopter ears.

I'm pretty sure she's a holland lop x.

Here's apicture of her ears normally.

Bunnypictures-Leanne157.jpg

Yep - they sure can. The most common cases I see of erect ears falling is during stretches of steady warm temperatures. Injury can also cause ears to lop. As you've noted, degeneration of connective tissues in older rabbits is another cause of ears to lop down.

"Bell ears" is the drooping of just the tips of the ears, which can also occur.

Pam

So Pebble and Ebony could still become full lops then? They are 10 months old, their dad is a lop and their mum is a rex (Berri), their ears, well Ebony's anyway, (Pebble's are much more like Berri's) are usually helicopter, they go down when she's relaxed, but are up when she's alert.

That'd be cool if it happened, I love black lops!:colors:

Michaela wrote:
So Pebble and Ebony could still become full lops then? They are 10 months old, their dad is a lop and their mum is a rex (Berri), their ears, well Ebony's anyway, (Pebble's are much more like Berri's) are usually helicopter, they go down when she's relaxed, but are up when she's alert.

That'd be cool if it happened, I love black lops!:colors:

It's possible. Rabbits that carry their ears in a wider "V" are more likely to lop than an erect earred rabbit with a very strong cartilage base.

Pam

Latest posts

Back