Cough / Hiccup / Heave while eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldamar

Reaction score
My good friend Canolli, who (if you've seen my other post) is well on his way to recovery from a right foreleg amputation has a strange / worrisome reflex the passed couple days.

I've had him mostly on timothy hay and water to keep his digestion clean while he's recovering, with the occasional tasty fruity treat (blueberry or a piece of strawberry). To keep his water intake up (he hates water, and has a hard time drinking right now), I started giving him a bit (less than a leaf) of lettuce a day.

I wasn't sure if he was so excited about getting romaine, which he LOVES, that he tried eating to quickly - but he sort of heaved while eating it, and I saw some of the lettuce juice drip out his mouth. What worries me is that this seems to happen when he eats water-containing foods now, and I don't know if he is aspirating or what. His bandage keeps him bound up a bit and may be to blame, and I have a vet appt. Friday. Other than this, he eats plenty, is very happy and energetic (considering), does all his business regularly, etc.

Thoughts? Thanks for all your help.

- Al,

P.S.: 4-ish month old Eastern Cottontail for those who haven't seen the other post.

Glad he is still doing well, and recovering-I saw the other post-you have done a fantastic job!

My rabbit drips juice from the veggies as they eat them sometimes, and I never thought anything of it. If you think its more serious then just juice dripping from the veggies as he's eating them, I'd just wait to give those veggies until he's seen the vet.

Back