Cottontail kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spend more times a day trying to make them go. They really need to relieve themselves. Being not as active is a bad sign. I hope they go potty soon!

Keep us posted. Maybe you can recruit some friends to eat take up a bunny and warm wash cloth and just keep stimulating their bellies gently and their wee privates. Sometimes rubbing them all over will do the trick too.

I'm going to be out most of tomorrow so my neighbor who has come to help with each and every feeding up to now has them right now for overnight and tomorrow. She's had many pets and goes a great job with them. I think I'll be calling constantly for updates tomorrow.

Please keep the buns in your prayers! Thanks!

Just thought I'd give a brief update:

Last night after receiving a few comments here I called my neighbor who had the bunnies for overnight and today. I relayed the info about trying to lightly tap their tummiesa and just try rubbing them more frequently. Right after that I headed over and stayed until about 1 a.m. rubbing them. The VERY good news is 5 of the 8 peed for us, and one had gone earlier that day.

Yesterday I went and bought KMR powder and was pretty amazed to find the fat was almost 3X as much and the protein was 42% instead of the 7% in the premixed kind. YIKES no wonder they looked skinny. I left that with my neighbor to feed them.

After being out all day today, I jsut went over for an hour and half or so and they said the bunnies are eating alot more greadily now. They were just doing the evening feeding so I helped feed them all. The all did eat really well-they actually seemed excited for once and most of them at at least 3 mL! Up to now we could barely get 1.5mL in. Also very good news. :)

Today they only saw one pee and then this evening while I was there, several more did. We're thinking they're going a little better on their own as you can smell it in their box. All their eyes are open now as of last night by the way. YAY! I'll have to get more pictures up as time allows. My nieghbor is keeping them overnight tonight we just decided so that I'm not rushing before church to get everyone fed and afterwards they'll come back here and we'll take some pictures to post.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Just thought I'd give a brief update:

Last night after receiving a few comments here I called my neighbor who had the bunnies for overnight and today. I relayed the info about trying to lightly tap their tummiesa and just try rubbing them more frequently. Right after that I headed over and stayed until about 1 a.m. rubbing them. The VERY good news is 5 of the 8 peed for us, and one had gone earlier that day.

Yesterday I went and bought KMR powder and was pretty amazed to find the fat was almost 3X as much and the protein was 42% instead of the 7% in the premixed kind. YIKES no wonder they looked skinny. I left that with my neighbor to feed them.

After being out all day today, I jsut went over for an hour and half or so and they said the bunnies are eating alot more greadily now. They were just doing the evening feeding so I helped feed them all. The all did eat really well-they actually seemed excited for once and most of them at at least 3 mL! Up to now we could barely get 1.5mL in. Also very good news. :)

Today they only saw one pee and then this evening while I was there, several more did. We're thinking they're going a little better on their own as you can smell it in their box. All their eyes are open now as of last night by the way. YAY! I'll have to get more pictures up as time allows. My nieghbor is keeping them overnight tonight we just decided so that I'm not rushing before church to get everyone fed and afterwards they'll come back here and we'll take some pictures to post.
awe great news!

They seem good today-5 of them ate 5mL tonight, the others ate only 3. But, that's still good. Up to now, the ones eating most ate 3mL per feeding.

Pictures from today:

2vczzmc.jpg

2saxlwg.jpg

29di7gn.jpg

106wun9.jpg

I'll have to get more pictures up-they've grown alot in just a couple more days. Especially Cinnabon-he's huge.

They all have names now (Cinnabon, Hopscotch, Grasshopper, Faith, Trooper, Peanut Butter, Skittle, and Josie) and are eating LOTS.

Any ideas on weaning and when to add in other bits of solid food? I don't have cecals to give them as our other bunnies have just been dewormed recently. I've never weaned a normal litter of bunnies let alone orphaned ones who don't have the good bacteria from their mom. They are getting Benebac but I'm hesitant to start too many solids. Would some pellets be an easy thing on their tummies to start them on? Each bunny is already eating 10+ syringes a day and the can lasted us a week. Tomorrow we've got to get more and I think they're almost ready for solids. What all do you think? Tuesday I'll be in at the vet so I can probably ask then and see what they think too.

Maybe a few good quality pellets just to see what they do. I would not give them a lot, just a few to start (but this is just my idea)...Have they nibbled hay?
I still think this is amazing. So many people try to raise cotton tails and fail. Do you have a wildlife license? If not you should get one if your up to raising them in the future. People could bring you babies they find....Really outstanding work.

They are so adorable, I hope that things continue to go well and they thrive. I remember raising wild bunnies whose nest got torn up from hay cutting all seemed well till weaning then something went wrong . :pray:

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Maybe a few good quality pellets just to see what they do. I would not give them a lot, just a few to start (but this is just my idea)...Have they nibbled hay?
I still think this is amazing. So many people try to raise cotton tails and fail. Do you have a wildlife license? If not you should get one if your up to raising them in the future. People could bring you babies they find....Really outstanding work.

No, they haven't had any hay yet. To be honest, after them coming this far, I'm scared out of my mind to try solids yet. However, they're doing very well, almost 3 weeks!

I don't have a license for rehabbing, but would be very interested in that in the future. I'll have to look into it-I love helping any animal {especially bunnies} whenever I can!

As for an update:
The bunnies still seem to be thriving and get cuter (if that's possible) by the day. Only one I am worried about. For at least a week (or maybe I guess since right after getting them) Faith has huddled by herself in the corner. She eats fine, but never wants to be with the rest no matter how many times I put her there. She's crusty on neck and front from the formula and seems to have trouble reaching her rear. I'm suspecting some issues from that. I really don't know what's wrong, just currently monitoring. I'm really hoping she's ok. I'm wondering maybe if she aspirated formlua at some point and that's causing a problem? Is that a long shot? Sometimes she shakes (but I don't think she's too cold) but they all did when tehy were little. All the others stopped though. hmmm. :?

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention her eyes look squinty compared to the others, so I kind of wonder if she's in pain or something. I'll have to get a picture of her.

Here's the biggest, Cinnabon today:

1zcdfls.jpg

UPDATE:

The kits seem to still be doing well, and thriving. Well, all except for the one.

This morning I found Faith had passed during the night. Before bed she was panting really heavily (and had been all day) and had not huddled with the rest since a couple days after getting them. She shook alot and had very squinty eyes. She wasn't nearly as active as the others, and weighed just half as much. It was very obvious to me she wasn't doing well and I had a hunch she wouldn't survive. Still, I'll miss her and miss all the times I was hoping to spend as I finished raising and releasing her.:cry2

RIP Faith, and Binky Free!:rainbow:

Kudos to you getting them this far. So sorry for the loss of Faith, but the other two are still going strong. Wishing you full success on raising these wee wild ones and setting them free.

The doe that had the litter next to my garden did move her brew so only had a little look at the wee ones there. They are just so cute.

K:)

Latest posts

Back