Cotton Tail Friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnicula

Reaction score
Bunnicula's Castle, S.Central, Pennsylvania, USA
We decided to not put up any fencing around our veggie garden this year. And as plants have died out, we've allowed grasses and some weeds to take over. I'm so glad because this gorgeous creature has made it his/her place of residence.

Wildbunnyingarden002.jpg

Wildbunnyingarden014.jpg

The rabbit gets soooooo close to us. The pics were taken from our kitchen window - the garden is right outside. I tossed him/her some baby carrots to munch. One landed right on the bunny's foot...and it didn't even flinch. Of course, it turned up its nose at the carrots. Why eat that when there is fresh wild grass growing to nibble?

Here is a pic of the bunny giving itself a face washing.

Wildbunnyingarden016.jpg

(I had a video clip, but couldn't get it to link to here. Will try again some time.)

Too cute! I feel honored that this bunny has picked our garden for a home.

-Mary Ellen

we have lots of wild buns in our yard,a ndthis spring we had a little baby cotton tail laying in the driveway, we think during the construction of landscaping the yard finally, we desterbed the nest, i put him off to the side of the drive so he wouldndt get smooshed and watched him for 2 hours, after it got dark for 20 or so mins, i decided no one was comming for him.... it is weird cause all the buns int he yard live out back near the woods, not by the road in front, where the babe was.

so i tried puttinghim out back near the deck where tons of buns congrwegate inthe early evening hours.

they hoped around and ate and munched but no one went near him, after an hour and a half of this and the little bun not even moving and inch, i decided....

i brought him in and mixed up kitten formula, i had from when hunny was due to have kits. its powder so it was sill good. it took right to the bottle and went right to sleep after in a carier on a heating pad.

the next moring early i got up and fed him again...

then sleep...

this went on for 4 days, he was stronger and was moving around alot, i put him ina small cage with lots of hey and a water bowl, when i saw him drink out of the water bowl and he ahd been eating hey for a day... i brough him out side...

the other buns were out and about and i ploped him down next to a pile of fresh greens... the others came to explore and were trying to get him out of the cage, so i went over and opend it up, it was like he was a freaid to come out, but the other lured him out.. it is like a pack of bunnys, or a hurd maybe! LOL

he still come by everynight to get baby carrots and greens with the other buns, there are 9 all togeather includinghim. he is the smallest and finally lost his whitespot about 3 weeks ago.!

he only gets about 5 feet away to eat then runs off witht he others.

we feed them through the winter off the deck... ima sucker for a cute fury face.

i made sure to keep him apart from my buns, as to not spread desiese, and didnt handle him more then i had to , and he has survived quite well!

2 and a ahalf months inthe wild now!

He's so PRETTY!

I love having rabbits in the yard! I need to go check on the babies we have. They are usually hopping around in the flower garden.

Cloverbunny won't eat carrots either. She hates Cheerios but loves banana and oatsies :)

THANK YOU for the pictures and update! Cottontail rehabbing converted me into a devoted domestic bunn owner and fosterer. Plus my husband. Nearly three dozen domestics can thank the e/c's for gaining two new rescue humans. Please keep info comin'. Pictures and stories are much appreciated. I seem to remember several RO members (aussiemom ?, naturestee) telling of the cottontails binkying. They do contented bunny flops too.

Cloverbunny binkies her little brains out! She gets going and it's the most hilarious thing you'd ever see! Sometimes I wish she hadn't been so injured and imprinted. She would love the outside but I don't want to turn her into coyote chow.

She loves our dog. :foreheadsmack:

I don't think I could rehab because I can't let them go once I get them healthy - I won't ever keep one again. I'll call someone to take it.

That's so amazing! Your new friend is adorable, you're so lucky to have that cutie hanging out with you!

kat.

Oh wow - great photos and what a great opportunity to have another furry friend....

I'm not jealous...much....

Just thought I'd share a few more pics.

Here are some photos from June. This little bun was living amongst our daylilies. I casually put out some pellets, lettuce,and hay...just to see what would happen.

BabyBunny001.jpg

BabyBunny004.jpg

This couple lives at the pond of a farm about 1/2 mile down the hill behind our home. Every spring (around Easter) they trek through the farm, across a road, through a huge church parking lot, into our yard (where they stop to rest and eat), then across the street we live on and into our neighbor's yard. Where they go from there I've no idea. They do this for a few weeks. Then I won't see them again until the next year. This is the first year that they let me get relatively close.

Ducks009.jpg

A bunny who took refuge in the tall grasses around our mailbox during the August heat. I put a dish of water in the shade.

Bunnyundermailbox002.jpg

This is "Bob." He and 8 other squirrels took up residence in a dying part of our maple tree over winter. We've named him "Bob" due to his stub tail. (Though I've got no idea if he's a he.)

Bobthesquirrel004.jpg

Finally, a bird friend who I knew was ill. The hundreds of birds that visit our feeders each day do let us get close...but never as close as this little lovely. This bird just didn't fly away. I took this pic literally inches from where it was perched (on Bob's feeder). I could tell by it's eyes and behavior that it was not well. A bit later I fould the lifeless body in our garden right against the house.

sickbird001.jpg

Thanks for letting me share my pictures and stories with you all. It never continues to amaze me how the common, average person like me who lives in a little suburban town can have a yard full of furry and feathered friends just by offering some food, shelter, water, and native plants.

-Mary Ellen

Back