corn?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No no no no no.

They are indigistable to rabbits.

Information from http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

"Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complex polysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls are more commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbits cannot digest. We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits were lucky. "

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? :shock:

They can't have dried corn??? OMG :shock:*Grabs the corn from the foster* I don't feed any to mine but I had no ideathey were bad :?*Feels so ignorant*

No no no, Hun...that's what this site is for...learning. :)

You're not ignorant...it's a natural plant, and makes sense that one would think they're okay. :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

That sounds a bit...overexaggerated. Just because they're indigestible, doesn't mean that they're bad for rabbits. Fiber is indigestible to us and yet we need it in our diets. Just because something is "indigestible" doesn't mean that it's "bad".

Now, I understand the amount of sugar and if they eat too many how it can hurt, I guess, but seriously, I doubt that feeding a kernel or two is going to kill your bunny or put them into gastrointestinal meltdown.

Actually the entire article sounded almost fanatical. "Feed your bunny this and he will DIE!" :?

I would agree with that, except that the site says, "We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits were lucky."

I just won't chance it if other buns have had problems...ya know?

Lots of rabbits have been fed whole kernal corn and haven't died from it, but... it is best to be safe. The hulls aren't digestible and if the rabbit doesn't crunch them up really well they could possibly cause a blockage.

While that is more on the rare side, corn is also very starchy and could easily cause an upset stomach. There are many more appropriate treats out there.

Well yes, I agree. I don't feed them corn because of the sugar. But I could also say, "I've seen bunnies with impactions because they chewed the foam out of their sleeping beds. Those bunnies are lucky to be alive." Or, "I've seen bunnies with impactions because they ate their plastic chew toys. They're luck to be alive." Well, I'm not taking away their chew toys on the slight chance that they'll swallow chunks of it and won't be able to pass it.

So on and so forth. My point isn't that corn isn't bad for rabbits- it's not good for them. It's just the general attitude of the article, I guess.

A moderate amount of corn is fine and many rabbit feeds (including the one I've used for over 15 years, contains corn). Corn is a good source of carbohydrates for rabbits, but too much can cause serious GI upset. Good for production rabbits because they need higher energy feeds - bad for pet rabbits.

Corn is approx. 9% protein, so could increase the rabbit's protein level too much if used in addition to commercial rabbit pellets. On the other hand, corn can be a good source of protein if the rabbit is on a limited pellet and limited alfalfa diet.

In some areas, corn is the staple dry diet for rabbits.

Because of the lower energy requirements of a pet rabbit, I would not make corn a regular part of their diet. Pet rabbits fed on a diet high in corn can suffer from obesity, leading to health problems. Corn can be used as an additional energy source for rabbits housed outdoors in very frigid weather.

Pam

I'm actually glad you asked. I bought some canned baby corn the other day and was wondering the same thing.

What about popcorn? Is it bad for rabbits? I haven't ever fed mine any, but they may obtain some off the floor if they get out during a family movie night.

Latest posts

Back