Cooling a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenadreena

Reaction score
Can't seem to find the pinned topic on cooling down your rabbit in the summer months? I'm sure it was around, has it been taken down? Looked in the library/101 things, couldn't find it :/

Asking because I think my bunny may be a little dehydrated (due to my dopey mum leaving her out to play for too long yesterday in the sun) :? What are the signs of dehydration? Mai doesn't seem to be eating, and is acting very lethargic, whereas she's usually a bouncy little thing. She's drinking little bits from a bowl when I offer it to her, and is currently laying down on the floor.

Ways to keep a rabbit cool lets seee....

Frozen water bottles
Fruitcicles
Wet towels hanging in the cage
Cage fans/dog kennel fans (usually only £5/$10)
Ice cubes in a towel/bag
Cool water 24/7
Keep rabbit in the shade
Bricks/slabs and marble in the cage for them to lay on.
the list goes on, but I have forgot some. If I remeber them later I will def post!

As for dehydration, if you put your rabbit in front of you and then grab his/her scruff and pull it up (but down pull the rabbit up, only so the skin rises) if it goes straight back to its normal place then s/he isnt dehydrated if it stays like that for a few seconds or longer then she needs to get fluids, but dont force him/her as you dont want him/her to asperate (ok, I know I spelt that wrong, basically you dont want him/her to breath it into his/her lungs), if she is dehydrated and she wont take water you should take him/her to the vet. By the sounds of it dehydration isnt the only problem :?

PS. London has the hot weather aswell? :shock: hopefully we dont get another heatwave this year like we did not last year the year before :(

I tried the scruff test thing, and it didn't take any time going back into it's usual place/didn't sag or anything (though it was hard to see through her mass of fluff). A couple months back she managed to knock out one of her bottom teeth, which we took her to the vet for. She's acting very much the same as she did then.
I've checked inside her mouth, and can't see anything wrong there. She acted like this also when she had gas (luckily avoiding stasis by noticing it in the early stages, by giving kale and tummy rubs hourly).

It's a little worrying when there's nothing visibly wrong, and she's definitely not herself. Do bunnies ever simply have 'off' days? Maybe she's just feeling a little blue.

ps; Yep, starting to get hot in the capital. Bout time xD.

queenadreena wrote:
It's a little worrying when there's nothing visibly wrong, and she's definitely not herself. Do bunnies ever simply have 'off' days? Maybe she's just feeling a little blue.
My boy (although, his "nick name" is Boy Blue :p ) sometimes has off days, usually when the weather isnt really mild he gets a bit stressed. Is she a long haired rabbit? If so you could try shaving her coat shorter (Note to self: I must clip Casper!) about 1/2"-1". If this behaviour continues I would get her checked out, have you felt along the jaw bone etc to feel if there is any lumps and bumps there that might be making it uncomfortable to eat and drink?
Also you could try giving her a few well rinsed (still wet) greens (ie. romaine lettuce), cucumber etc.

Thanks for advice. She is longhaired, yes (her fur has an angora quality to it, but she's actually a holland lop). I've been offering her vegetables throughout the day, but she hasn't taken any yet. She's drinking the water though, but now actually feels rather cold as opposed to hot.

I will have a feel around for lumps, and double check her mouth again. Also noticed she's not producing any poops, but did a wee earlier.

Thanks for posting this! I was actually looking for that thread (that was pinned!) last night and couldn't find it anywhere! Any Mods know what happened to it? Weird.

Latest posts

Back