Convincing my parents to let me have a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eva121

Reaction score
Hi!

I have been wanting rabbits and been doing tons of research on them, thing is, my parents wont let me have them. I have done research and know how to take care of them. The main thing my parents are against is the bunnies poops, saying its SUPPPEEERRRR toxic. Of course, no poop isn't toxic but they totally think it will give me cancer or something if I go near rabbit poop. I say that I will wash my hands super well etc. Anyone have any ideas how I can convince them to let me get bunnies ?

I don't know where they get the idea that rabbit poop is toxic at all. Cat poo can spread toxoplasmosis. Rabbit poo cannot. I'd be far more concerned about cat feces, than rabbit poo.

In fact Orkin (the pest company) states:
While rabbits can carry parasites like tapeworm and roundworm, their waste is not known to transmit any diseases to humans.

https://www.orkincanada.ca/blog/rabbit-poop/

Rabbit poo can also be used in vegetable gardens. It does not have to be composted and aged first (as chicken or cow manure must). It is safe to put it directly in the garden. (referred to as "cold" manure)

I think most of us rabbit-havers just pick up stray droppings by hand without thinking much of it.

A rabbit's diet is mostly hay. Their droppings are round, hard, and compact. There can be a lot of them, but it's nothing like feces from carnivores (which nobody picks up with their hands).

Do your parents read much? Would they be open to learning more about them? There are lots of good books about rabbits out there (like this one) that dispel many of the myths people have about rabbits and describe what it's really like to have a pet rabbit.

Do you mind if I ask your age?

Do you have other pets?

Many parents are afraid they will end up doing all or most of the care (of ANY pet.) Is there another a
Facet of your life in which you are sules responsible that you can bring up as reasons to believe you would act responsible to a pet?

I let my daughter get a rabbit because I wanted her to have the experience of being responsible for something, to have a friend to hold when she is sad, to experience showing it and make friends with other "animal people". I let her get a second rabbit because even contemplating breeding led to many discussions on genetics. You could try bringing up any of those things.
Maybe they would accompany you to a rabbit show or rabbitry. They could see different breeds and talk to breeders about what it is like. And/or perhaps you know someone that would allow you to "borrow" one for a sleepover.

When I was a kid I wanted a guinea pig so bad it hurt, and my parents s would not even consider it. When I became an adult I ended up with a large caviary. I enjoyed showing them and loved each one so much. But cleaning all those cages got really tiresome, and so did ove an hour each night feeding them. I told my parents it was all their fault for not letting me get one as well kid.

Latest posts

Back