Convenia for respiratory infection?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodle

Reaction score
Hi again, if anyone remembers me. :D I haven't been here in a long time! But my bunny and I could use some help...

My 8-year-old rabbit, Tumble, went to the vet Friday with a respiratory infection. It is nearly impossible to give her oral meds, so the vet suggested giving her an injection of Convenia. Since Tumble is not in acute distress (still eating, drinking, pooping, etc.), I decided to hold off until Monday and do some research over the weekend. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this drug and if it's safe and effective for rabbits? Also, is the dosage different than for cats and dogs?

The infection is presumed to be pasteurella but hasn't been cultured, and I read that nasal cultures aren't that reliable anyway(?). She really doesn't have much nasal discharge that I can tell (maybe she's cleaning it well). Should I ask for a culture first? Or is it protocol to try an antibiotic first and see if it works and then culture if it isn't working?

Her main symptom is noisy congested-sounding breathing, mostly when she's excited or active and is breathing a little harder than when she's resting. There is NO sneezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, or lethargy. She does have decreased appetite and smaller poops, though. She is eating a few pellets but mostly greens. I wet them down to keep her hydrated even though she is also drinking on her own. She has timothy hay 24/7 but doesn't eat much of it.

She also has a lump on the side/underside of her belly near her back leg. The vet said it felt like it could be a tumor but wanted to try her on the antibiotics and recheck it in a week.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'm also looking into any supplements/herbs, etc. that I could give to help support her through this.

Thanks for listening!
Kim

I'm not familiar with the use of convenia in rabbits. There are other antibiotics that are more commonly used. Did the vet actually hear noisy breathing sounds when listening to her lungs?
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

A culture and sensitivity is best done before you start antibiotics. I think once you start them and if you find that it isn't helping, then you have to stop antibiotics completely for a certain amount of time, to be able to get an accurate culture.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

I've dealt with quite a bit of respiratory things in my buns and am curently (have my own thread posted here). I actually have been wondering the same thing about convenia, I know it is used with great success in dogs alot. I think the Culture and Sensitivity is a good idea. I thought since it's not always accurate, I wouldn't do it. Then I spent $250 at least probably on my one bun without it helping a bit. I say I culture is worthwhile. Many times they give Baytril or a sulfa drug SMZ, unfortunately alot of bacteria have become resistant and come back worse than before with those.

I am pretty sure Randy used to be a fan of Convenia in rabbits, although the dosing is every 5 days instead of every 7 because rabbits eliminate it from their systems more quickly. I would give it a try, or try nebulizing medication if you have access to a nebulizer (we got one for $40 off craigslist). Bicillin is another injectible med that you only have to give every other day, and you could also try Baytril injected, but that would be daily.

Thanks so much for the info. I also did search here on the forum and saw where Randy recommended Convenia. (I should have done the search in the first place before posting, duh.)

I'll ask the vet about the Bicillin too, although I have to admit, I'm not too keen on having to inject her every other day. My girl is FEISTY!! I'd have to recruit someone to come over and help me hold her, lol.

One more question...is the nebulizer something you use instead of oral or injectable antibiotics, or do you do both? And if used alone, would nebulizing her eliminate the risk of digestive upset with antibiotics?

We're headed back to the vet in 45 min.

You could do both if you wanted. The nebulized meds would have a lesser impact on her GI than orally dosed ones, but some would still get into the GI system so it wouldn't be safe to use nebulizing with one of the orally toxic antibiotics.

I had a bunny who had the dreaded white snot coming out of nose- and had great success with zithromax/azithromycin after tetracyclin did not work. Was on it for 6 weeks, if I remember correctly, and has been better for the last 5 months. That same bun got bitten through the lip by another rabbit last month- deep puncture all the way through, started looking infected-- This time I went to a different vet (other vet was out of town) he preffered Convenia for rabbits and said he had gotten good results with it. It is just a single shot and lasts for 7 days- It worked and my rabbit did not get a upset stomach or any side effects- puncture wound cleared up. He's fine. But, If it where me, I would go for the Zithromax for respiratory infections if possible- lots of people have reported good results with that. Convenia would be my second choice I think.

The one problem with zithromax is that some bunnies cannot tolerate its GI side effects. When they can, it usually does a very good job with URIs.

Latest posts

Back