constantly drinking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenatomm

Reaction score
Two days ago I got a gorgeous little lion head girl, she is only 3 months old.
She is a rescue as the previous owner was going to just let her loose in the nature ( and we live in iceland !! there is so cold here at the moment she would have died immediately ) I think she didn't take a very good care of those little darlings, she had three , I took two and a another girl took one who is pregnant. The pregnant one has been really sick, always sneezing and runny nose.
I haven't seen mine sneezing but I am very worried about my little girl as she drinks soooo much, I have filled up her bottle three times today and when she is running around she always stop and drink alot and then runs again. I need to put the bottle outside her cage as if I don't do that she will go crazy on the bottle with the other bunny and try to drink there. Her whole day is about drinking water not playing or having fun like a bunny her age should do. The boy who is 8 month old drinks alot too , but not as much as the girl. Her face feels cold when I touch it but I haven't notice any sneezing or runny nose. I am so worried ... does anybody know any advice about what might be wrong ??

Some rabbits will drink more than others, but when it really is an excessive amount that doesn't seem normal, this can be an indication of some health problems like kidney disease, diabetes, and urinary tract problems.
http://animals.pawnation.com/excessive-thirst-rabbits-6663.html

You will need to take your bun to get checked by an experienced rabbit vet. Hopefully there is one near you. You will probably need a urinalysis done, possibly a blood test and xrays as well.

The pregnant rabbit sounds like it has a URI and needs treatment as well.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

Thank you so much
I will get my vet to look at them and run some tests. Hope it isn't anything serious :(

If possible, you may want to replace the bottle with a bowl. Provide both until you are sure the buns will drink from the bowl. Buns will usually drink more water from a bowl than a bottle. I know they are already drinking a lot but it will probably take them less time to get as much as they want from a bowl as opposed to a bottle.

I would have them checked out by a rabbit savvy vet.

My bunny started to drink alot of water not so long ago and stopped eating her dry food and seemed off. I took her to my vet who told me she had either urinary tract infection or E cuniculi (parasites). He put her onto 'Panacur' which is an oral medicine which kills off the parasite. She started to behave normally in no time.

Is your bunny urinating normally - check the colour of it and if her stools are regular.

It could be either of the pre mentioned reasons, but your vet can check your bunny.

Don't delay though.

All the best

Thanks everyone
I got me vet to look at them and she didn't find anything wrong with them other than neglect such as they are very skinny , long nails and bad coat.
So I decided to put a water bowl into the cage as PaGal recommended and it is so much better, my thought is that they maybe didn't get much to drink at previous home so they drink as much as they can when they get the chance.
I also changed their diets to Russel rabbit food , fresh vegetables and ofcourse lots of hay , and I can see the change right away ! :)

Back