Considering getting another rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SillyAnneh

Reaction score
So I'm a first time rabbit mother, and even though it's been a year, I'm still learning the ins and outs. :shock2: But I've grown to love the rabbit way of life :)

Lately I've been thinking of getting little Bunsen Burner Bishop (her name is Bun, but we've been calling her that lately) a sibling, but I'm not sure if that would be possible.

She's about 2 years old, spayed, New Zealand breed. She's a happy girl, loves the binky and throw toys around, and has free run of my apartment (when I'm home). She's also got a bold streak like I can't believe. One time I was babysitting a German shepherd that very much wanted to eat her (barking, lunging at her enclosure), and she just moseyed up to the barrier between them, showed off her fluffy white tail, and proceeded to take a bath. Could not care less that there was a 50 pound dog about an inch from her. (The dog was quickly moved to another room). She also manages to boss around my 300 pound boyfriend.:p

Since she was a rescue, I'm not sure that she's ever been around other rabbits before. She was an Easter present that someone dyed pink then dumped off on the side of the road. :( Even so, she warms up to new people in minutes.

The reason I mention this is because I'm not sure if she would take well to an addition to the family. I have no idea how she would react.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I've read that older buns do better with older buns, and male/female pairs are more favorable. Is there any creedance to that?

A good way to find a bunny friend for Bun would be to find a rescue in your area that would allow you to do "bunny dating" with her. There have been other posts about this you could look up here on RO.

Yup, take her on some bunny-dates at a rescue or shelter. If she hates other rabbits, you'll find out pretty quick. ;)

I have to say, Gus (a New Zealand cross) has never been happier now that we've got him a girlie. He didn't seem overly unhappy or lonely before, but the change in him is obvious.

If you can, find a rescue/shelter with multiple rabbits for adoption. That way you can handpick a few bachelors for her to choose from. The reason I bring this up is, if she's free roam, you'll want a boy who can also be trusted not to destroy your apartment. If you give her cart blanche, who knows who'll she'll want to bring home. ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

Agreed, I enquired with my local bunny shelter and they said that bonding with another female would be extremely difficult unless they were raised together, so I'm to take Kick on a bunny date with some of the neutered males in a hopes she'll bond with one of them.

I agree with others that you should try her on some bunny dates at the shelter. Also, I agree that she is more likely to get along with a male than another female. Her reaction on the dates will give you a good idea of wheather or not she would like a companion.
It has been almost two weeks since we brought home a little girl bun for our Bob, and they are soooo happy together. We did take Bob to a local shelter for a coupe dates before making our selection. It is so adorable to see two happy buns living together harmoniously.
Best of luck to you and Bun!

Latest posts

Back