Conjunctivitis Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seniorcats

Reaction score
I already PM'd this to Sandra. Hergirl has a pink rim around her eye and seems to be missinghair. There appears to be just a tiny, tiny bit of crustinessin the corner near her tear duct. Otherwise she is just fine- no runny or wet nose, no sneezing or anything else unusual.

The only thing I can think of is bunny grooming. Saturdaynight Melly was grooming Frodo and Frodo and Presley have been groomingeach other. This is all usually head grooming. I amwondering if somebunny 'over groomed' Miss Frodo???

I just did a search under 'tear duct' and came up with MyBunnyBoysposts about Kiara's conjunctivitis. Now I am wondering ifthis is Frodo's problem. What type of drops//ointment areusually used to treat this? I have a triple antibiotic eyeointment prescribed for both bunnies and cats and also some gentamicin(sp?) eye drops. WhenPresley first came home he hadto be on oral Baytril and these drops due to injuries received after hewas dumped outside by his previous owner.

Even though she is going to the vet tomorrow, I would still like to help her out tonight.

Ann

if the bunny does have pink eye you &everyone else can get it.i've gotten it off 1 of my buns in thepast.here's what i used terramycin eye ontiment.i put it in twice a dayfor 7 days it worked .you can get in at pet surply catalogs even somebreeders sell it.i get mine from hartsbunnybarn.here's her e-mail[email protected]

her name'scathy

you can use warm cotton balls to gently clean the eyes& keep them from sticking

good luck

michelle

Ann, Koda gets that from time to timewhen Norman over groons her eyes. I just put a small amount of theTerramycin eye ointment on to keep any nasties from setting in. I alsoflush her eyes once a day. Usually in a few days it's all cleared up. Ihope this helps you.

Tina

I wouldn't mess with the eyes. Sinceshe'll be going to the vet tomorrow, I'd hold off. You might put a warmcompress on it just to soothe her and keep the area clean.

-Carolyn

Thanks everybunny! The vet says it isover grooming. We also found a thinning spot on the top ofhead right where Melody likes to groom her. The tear duct isfine, no infection, no pink eye or parasites. It looks muchbetter today and I feel better now that she has seen the vet.

Glad to hear it,Seniorcats.

I've been thinking of the both of you. It's great to know ourlittle one is going to be just fine and there's no infection orblockage. What did the vet say you can do about it?Does it cause her pain being so raw?

-Carolyn

The vet gave us a little tube of tripleantibiotic eye ointment to use around the eye. I was out oftown the last 2 daysand didn't have a chance to use theointment but the eyes look better already. Since I've beenhome, I haven't noticed any head grooming.

Latest posts

Back