Confusing behaviors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahrat

Reaction score
I rescued a retired 4H rabbit about a week ago! She’s a ham and such a cuddle bug!!!
But she’s mixing aggressive behaviors with happy behaviors.
She’s certainly territorial about her cage, but nothing too alarming.
She’s keeps honking? And slightly lunging, but never like she’s actually going to bite. But then she’ll turn around and binky. She seem so lile to play like a puppy? I’ll get her excited, and bounce left to right, and she’ll do it with me, get all honky, and usually do a happy twitch after. She also boxes everything but then puts her head down to be pet? My last, and only rabbit before this wasn’t playful.
Is this normal?
I don’t want to make her aggressive by encouraging or make her feel unsafe because I’m not used to her body language yet.
I know she’s not spayed, which we’ll be getting done soon, so she’s been a lone show rabbit her whole life, so not very socialized with other bunnies.
I remember my friend had a cat that wasn’t socialized, and it would hiss when you pet him just because it was a sound he could make, but he meant no harm. Could rabbits be the same way?

She could just be a bit bossy or it could be hormones. It's also possible that she doesn't understand your body language yet and it's confusing her some. Another thought is that this is how she used to respond in her previous home/situation(maybe to other rabbits in other cages), and now she reacts first with you before she remembers that she's in a new place and doesn't need to behave like that anymore.

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound too concerning. In fact she sounds pretty adorable.

Back