Confused

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find my 3.5 yr old bun thumper had passed on, needless to say its been a rough day.

He was my first rabbit, and I'm amazed at how intelligent and fun he was. I'm so confused he was eating and playing, doing his business fine. I'm in shock and feel like he was so young that maybe it was something I could've prevented somehow

Anyways I visited a breeder this afternoon and the baby buns sure did lift my spirits. There's one lil darling that I wanted to share and look for thoughts/opinions. She's supposed to be a netherland dwarf and shed definitely be staying with mommy for a few more weeks at least.

Is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
Maybe if you give us an idea of your rabbits environment and what food you gave him, it could help shed some light on his sudden passing. Other info, such as: are there other pets in the house, etc. I would investigate this further before getting another rabbit. Also fully sanitizing the rabbits cage and environment would be wise just in case he died from a disease. Sorry for your loss.

It's not a bad idea, If you feel that you are ready for another rabbit, than I would say go right ahead, don't dwell in the past keep moving forward, although it may be hard, just remember you will always have the memories you made with Thumper.
regarding your rabbit some just don't live as long. Make sure your feeding a high quality pellet, fresh water, hay (not alfalfa over 6months of age) and that your bedding in the cage is not going to cause respiratory issues. I'm sorry about your bunny its always hard to lose one, at least he was living a great life before he pasted on.

I woke up this morning to find my 3.5 yr old bun thumper had passed on, needless to say its been a rough day.

He was my first rabbit, and I'm amazed at how intelligent and fun he was. I'm so confused he was eating and playing, doing his business fine. I'm in shock and feel like he was so young that maybe it was something I could've prevented somehow

Anyways I visited a breeder this afternoon and the baby buns sure did lift my spirits. There's one lil darling that I wanted to share and look for thoughts/opinions. She's supposed to be a netherland dwarf and shed definitely be staying with mommy for a few more weeks at least.

Is this a bad idea?

Sorry to hear that Thumper has went to the
Rainbow bridge. That is my fear to go
Out and check my buns and find one passed on.

So sorry you lost Thumper...I wish our little ones could talk and tell us when things aren't just right.

As far as getting another bunny being a "bad idea," I say nope...although it won't take away all the hurt of missing Thumper, a new bunny would definitely give you somewhere to concentrate your energies.

Take care,

Kelton

So sorry Thumper has passed, but sounds like he did not suffer. The dwarfs are so small get his brother or sister also. I lost sammy 6 months ago and got one mini rex then went back for his brother the next weekend(they where raised in the same cage) and they chase, jump and frolic together.

Maybe if you give us an idea of your rabbits environment and what food you gave him, it could help shed some light on his sudden passing. Other info, such as: are there other pets in the house, etc. I would investigate this further before getting another rabbit. Also fully sanitizing the rabbits cage and environment would be wise just in case he died from a disease. Sorry for your loss.

I used the recycled bedding, I had researched and heard about the wood shavings causing respiratory issues. He had his regular pellets and some organic carrots, clovers and grass. Pesticides are not allowed here and he's eaten grass since he was a baby, dandelions were his fave. But that's what's eating at me, wondering if he ingested something outside?

But he was well. Eating playing peeing pooping as normal. His breathing wasn't loud or laboured.

I did visit with my dd and put the lil bun on hold. I've come across the bunny condos and now feel quite guilty that thumper just had a regular cage from petsmart. We already have a bunch of those cubes too. The project does take the ache away just a little, so she won't be in his cage.

I will sanitize it regardless. Thx for the tip

So sorry to hear thumper passed. Do what feels right.

Latest posts

Back