confused about new behavior after neuter.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bijoux

Reaction score
Bijoux keeps peeing next to his litter box. I have a rubber mat down in his "bedroom" area and if the mat is down, he will pee next to his litter box. I took the mat out so that he would know that itsNOT ok to pee there and then he doesn't but if I put it back he does. So that means he doesn't like the mat?

the mat is like a playground mat and I put it there so that all his hay and little poos go on that instead of the carpet but I dont want him to pee on it. Any suggestions.

The 2 things that have happened in the same time frame was a new guinea pig and the neuter.

Thanks

Nicki

If he was just neutered he may be sore and not wanting to jump into the box
If the guinea pig is living with him (hope not) then he is claiming his territory

You could try a throw rug instead of a mat to see if there is something about the mat

or even try plain newspapers.

I was thinking the same as angieluv that maybe he is sore and doesn't want to jump in the litter box. How long has it been since the neuter?

My bunnies will go to the bathroom on certain things. Maybe that type of mat is something that your bun thinks is ok to go to the bathroom on. What is it made out of? Anything hay my buns think they can go to the bathroom on.

If it has been awhile since the neuter and you are sure it isn't that he is to sore to jump in the litter box I would remove the mat for a while and see if he forgets. But with my buns there are just certain things I can't put in their cage or they will go to the bathroom on it.

Yeah, I actually think it's best for a bunny after a neuter to not jump for about a week. If he has to jump in, that could be the reason.

Its been about 2 weeks since the neuter. He's jumping on things he never jumped on before, the couch, boxes, so I don't think the jumping is it.

I've put rugs down on top of the mat and that seems to be helping, maybe he just doesn't like the feel of it.

and no, the piggie has his own cage. The bun runs free.

Thanks for the advice.

Back