Confused about my rabbit's breed (pictures in here)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TCRabbitry wrote:
This is frustrating.

Just because the rabbit has the "bump" other wise known as a butterfly, does not mean that it is an english spot cross.

Based on size and body type, I would say that it is a Mini Rex cross.... It is what a broken castor would look like if it had normal fur. Mini Rex come in broken black too.... Just because there is a broken black in the litter does not mean that it is an english spot cross.

if I had to guess at all, I would guess that it was a Mini Rex/ Netherland Dwarf cross.
Yep, I agree.

I can say, almost for certain, that it is not an English Spot or Palomino cross, both of which have been suggested. These are rare-er breeds in the show/breeding world, and definitely rare in the pet world.

Mini Rex and Netherland Dwarfs are very common breeds in both worlds, and your rabbit's body type and pattern suggests these breeds. Your rabbit seems to have a more compacty body type and a head/ear that is characteristic of MR.

English Spots have very long, lean bodies and are MUCH larger than your bunny. TCRabbitry is either right or on the right track with the MR/ND mix guess.

Also, only one of the varieties recognized in the English Spot breed is recognized in the litter above- black and white. That's not enough evidence to suggest an ES cross because many breeds recognize a black and white broken variety.

Why not get back to the breeders and ask what the parents were? Looks like a mis-marked English pattern. I had mis-marked butterfly lops 30 odd years ago that looked similar.. but does it really matter lol... a beautiful bunny any way x

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
TCRabbitry wrote:
This is frustrating.

Just because the rabbit has the "bump" other wise known as a butterfly, does not mean that it is an english spot cross.

Based on size and body type, I would say that it is a Mini Rex cross.... It is what a broken castor would look like if it had normal fur. Mini Rex come in broken black too.... Just because there is a broken black in the litter does not mean that it is an english spot cross.

if I had to guess at all, I would guess that it was a Mini Rex/ Netherland Dwarf cross.
Yep, I agree.

I can say, almost for certain, that it is not an English Spot or Palomino cross, both of which have been suggested. These are rare-er breeds in the show/breeding world, and definitely rare in the pet world.

Mini Rex and Netherland Dwarfs are very common breeds in both worlds, and your rabbit's body type and pattern suggests these breeds. Your rabbit seems to have a more compacty body type and a head/ear that is characteristic of MR.

English Spots have very long, lean bodies and are MUCH larger than your bunny. TCRabbitry is either right or on the right track with the MR/ND mix guess.
I agree, he looks like he's a mini rex/ netherland dwarf cross. And that is a very common cross you'll see around. That would be my guess anyway.

MsBunBun wrote:
TCRabbitry wrote:
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
MsBunBun wrote:
So is it an english spot mix for sure? :)
No. ;) He's probably not mixed with English Spot at all. ;) There are similar broken patterns in SEVERAL breeds. Those markings do not make him an English Spot. Firstly, he is much too small to be an English Spot. He's simply a dwarf mix of some sort, but he could be anything. ;)

Emily

This is what drives me nuts about mixed breed rabbits. People see a marked breed and assume that it must be this without really doing any research on it first.

I did do research. :rollseyes I researched rabbit breeds and my rabbit looked mostly like english spot is all. Thats why i assumed it. Its honestly not a big deal, this isnt even for a rabbit show or anything, I just wanted an idea of what breed he was, just for the sake of me knowing.

Kadish, Ill give my bun a pat for you! :)

Oh well. I appreciate everyones help though, I guess the only way I can find out for sure is if I took it to the vet or something.

Also Emily, you like using that winking smiley dont you?

I agree with Melinda & Julie on this one. ;) The broken pattern is seen in almost all breeds, in the exact same patterns as the English Spot, but Melinda is correct; the ES is a full arch breed and much larger than your rabbit.

Markings & colour are not the only factors that play into figuring out a breed. Weight, age, & ear size are other very important factors that play into it.

And I use the winking smiley to make sure I don't come across as harsh. ;) lol.

Emily

By the looks of him and the coloring of his siblings, i would say Mini Rex Dwarf cross as well. I know the markings spots show up in many breeds, as one of my Hollands has that same color marking on him.

Back