Confused about my rabbit's breed (pictures in here)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBunBun

Reaction score
I was convinced that my bun was a half english spot.. but after reading this post, I am a bit confused. The reason? In that post, that rabbit looks almost exactly like mine.

So right now Im not sure if my bun could possibly be a mini rex mix.
I know that his father was an orange rabbit (possibly golden palomino).
The mother's breed is not known... since she wasn't nearby (dont ask why. I have no idea).

I dont have pictures of the mother or father, but I do have pictures of my rabbit and it's siblings.

2 of my rabbit's siblings looked exactly like it's father... however my bun and it's other sibling had most likely it's mothers patterns.

Here's the picture of my bun before it was bought (he used to live in this cage setup at a farm), along with its siblings. My rabbit is the brown and white one.

62971_1614241034270_1183648303_31715792_6488088_n.jpg

Here are recent pictures of my bun bun :)

The face markings:
DSCN3319.jpg

(This was taken about a week or so ago. I apologize for the crappy lightning on this one. Also... yeah, his feet are soiled from newspaper ink :p, but I since then have built him a new NIC cage with much better flooring, now his feet arent stained as you will see in the next two pics.)

The side markings (I had to give him something to chew on so he could stay still, lol)

DSCN3323.jpg

DSCN3324.jpg

It would be very much appreciated if someone were able to tell me what this rabbit's breed is, or at least a good idea. :)
Thank you.

Also... hope you enjoyed the pictures, hehe.

A lot of people see those markings, hear about the Checkered Giant or English Spot, and automatically assume that that is what their rabbit is. ;)

In fact, those markings can look just the same on lop breeds.

I would venture to guess that he's mixed with some type of dwarf, since he's small...English Spots are large rabbits. ;)

How old is he? And how much does he weigh? His ears look large, so I'm thinking dwarf crossed with some type of large breed - Palomino is very possible - he does have the head of a Pal.

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
A lot of people see those markings, hear about the Checkered Giant or English Spot, and automatically assume that that is what their rabbit is. ;)

In fact, those markings can look just the same on lop breeds.

I would venture to guess that he's mixed with some type of dwarf, since he's small...English Spots are large rabbits. ;)

How old is he? And how much does he weigh? His ears look large, so I'm thinking dwarf crossed with some type of large breed - Palomino is very possible - he does have the head of a Pal.

Emily
He is about 2 and a half months old right now, and is 3 pounds.

I don't see any mini-rex in him but I am definitely no expert. He does look like my Smores though :biggrin2:You've got a real cute wabbit :)

Not a mini Rex--he has the double layer of fur and long whiskers--all of our Rexes have really tiny/short whiskers and fur like velvet. We rescued one that we thought might be an English Spot when we first got her as she was fairly large but she turned out to be a Checkered Giant and now tips the scale at 17 pounds.

I would guess a mini rex dwarf cross.... Especially if it is only 3 lbs right now.

That would account for the mini rex body type, ears, and the longer fur.

Thank you Nela :)

So two people say that they don't see a mini rex in him... and one does.

*confused*
I should also mention that his fur is very very soft in the white areas. The colored areas arent quite as soft as the white part.

he is very similar to my Wanda marking wise...they also look similar in size...

094.jpg

i figure that wanda is a dwarf/rex cross. she doesn't have the rex fur but she has other rex qualities.....i don't think every rex mix has fur like a rex...

just putting that out there, he looks alot like wanda just with lighter markings...

Rex fur is a reccessive gene. In order to get it, both parents have to carry it.

Most rex crosses do NOT have rex fur.

I would guess that it is a mini rex cross.

This is a photo of my Mini Rex X Netherland Dwarf, Foxtrot.

foxtrot%20view.JPG

As you can see she doesnt have the Rex fur, but she has the body, thought this might help somehow to figar out what breed your rabbit is.

MsBunBun wrote:
So is it an english spot mix for sure? :)
No. ;) He's probably not mixed with English Spot at all. ;) There are similar broken patterns in SEVERAL breeds. Those markings do not make him an English Spot. Firstly, he is much too small to be an English Spot. He's simply a dwarf mix of some sort, but he could be anything. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
MsBunBun wrote:
No. ;) He's probably not mixed with English Spot at all. ;) There are similar broken patterns in SEVERAL breeds. Those markings do not make him an English Spot. Firstly, he is much too small to be an English Spot. He's simply a dwarf mix of some sort, but he could be anything. ;)

Emily

This is what drives me nuts about mixed breed rabbits. People see a marked breed and assume that it must be this without really doing any research on it first.

TCRabbitry wrote:
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
MsBunBun wrote:

Emily

This is what drives me nuts about mixed breed rabbits. People see a marked breed and assume that it must be this without really doing any research on it first.

I did do research. :rollseyes I researched rabbit breeds and my rabbit looked mostly like english spot is all. Thats why i assumed it. Its honestly not a big deal, this isnt even for a rabbit show or anything, I just wanted an idea of what breed he was, just for the sake of me knowing.

Kadish, Ill give my bun a pat for you! :)

Oh well. I appreciate everyones help though, I guess the only way I can find out for sure is if I took it to the vet or something.

Also Emily, you like using that winking smiley dont you?

But that's just it, if you did any real kind of research, you would have seen that english spots are a racy breed, which means they are full arch type, and that they are MUCH larger than your rabbit.

Why would you take your rabbit to a vet to find out it's breed? Most vets don't know enough about rabbits to be able to tell you.

Honestly, I think you have a Mini Rex cross of some kind. Why is it that you have such a hard time believing the people on here that will tell you what they know from their years of experience?

All I am saying is that if proper research had been done, Hotot's, English Spots, and other marked breeds would have been ruled out. There are SO MANY breeds that have a broken pattern.....

And sometimes we get too caught up in trying to educate everyone on what many people have been doing wrong.

I am actually very much inclined to believe that he is an english spot mix. For one thing, one of his siblings is black and white. The curve of his back actually does look like it could sit in an arch position too. But the thing that is the most distinctive is the coloring around his nose. It has the little "bump" in the middle. Compare that to the markings of a real english spot's face:

9889mnd_26.jpeg

I haven't seen any other breed with something like this as a distinctive marking, unless checkered giants have it also. I think it is actually quite likely thatthere isenglish spot in him, and since he is only 2 1/2 months, there's no telling how big he will get.

He is a real cutie too. :)

This is frustrating.

Just because the rabbit has the "bump" other wise known as a butterfly, does not mean that it is an english spot cross.

Based on size and body type, I would say that it is a Mini Rex cross.... It is what a broken castor would look like if it had normal fur. Mini Rex come in broken black too.... Just because there is a broken black in the litter does not mean that it is an english spot cross.

if I had to guess at all, I would guess that it was a Mini Rex/ Netherland Dwarf cross.

Latest posts

Back