Conflicting information

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchLover

Reaction score
I have been told by many breeders that hollands are the nicest breed of rabbit for kids. Recently a breeder told me that they are the meanest. Which is true? I'm absolutely confused.

Watermelons wrote:
Each and every rabbit can have their own unique personality regardless of its breed. So yes some hollands can be great little critters, while others might not.

Definitely agree with Watermelons.

K:)

People tend to give info and advice based on what they have seen and experienced. So if one breeder has had Hollands that are mean or something, they might not want to recommend them as pets for kids due to that.
Also keep in mind that breeders to deal with intact rabbits. This can mean that some are more territorial than others and could be more aggressive as they might want to breed or a really hormonal. This doesn't really say as much about the breed as any breed can be like that.

I think that you need to go by what a lot of people say. If you have 9 people say that hollands are great pets and one says they are mean and vicious, then chances are they are pretty good as pets. If you had more say that they are mean, then that could be more true as a generalization.
Also know that each rabbit is different and might not be suitable for all people. A child might prefer a calmer rabbit where a more active one can be good for an adult or to do rabbit hopping with. The active rabbit can still be a good pet, but might not be appropriate for a child.

I would say that Holland Lops do make good pets. You do need to find the right one for the child and preferably get it spayed or neutered when it is old enough.

Kids are the nicest breed for holland lops. Kids are the meanest breed for holland lops.

Lol. Works both ways. Depends on personality, the way they are brought up, their experiences, etc. It's really hard to generalize. Even the sweetest rabbit can turn a bit 'mean' once they hit that hormonal stage so spays and neuters are highly recommended, especially if kids are involved, to avoid the kids getting bitten from the bun displaying normal territorial behavior.

If you get a baby, it's quite difficult to really judge their personality as they haven't hit puberty yet. Most rabbits are perfectly happy and gentle lil things. However, my own Maybelle was and always will be a diva and really doesn't enjoy being fussed over unless it's on her own terms and even then it's very limited. Lol. So, if you and the kids are willing to accept and respect a rabbit no matter what personality it develops, that's great.

However, I do suggest that you look into a shelter if possible. The buns there are usually a bit older (you can easily find a bun that's 10mths-1 year) and lonely and they truly appreciate the company and generally are quite mellow. If they are already spayed/neutered, it gives you a good chance to see their true personality and you won't have to go through the puberty phase with them where they can become a bit of a handful.

Of course, puberty can also be dealt with but you will have to keep an eye on the bun and the kids and expect the behavior to change a bit around that age. :)

Ok, so there are a few misunderstandings I need to clarify. 1. I have no kids I was asking about the kid thing because I'M the kid. 2. I would love to get a shelter bunny but I can't because I'm in FFA and my SAE is bunny husbandry so I have to get an intact pedigreed bunny. Sorry for the misundertandings.

Oooooooh lol. Sorry, thought you were asking for your kids. Many do. Lol. I haven't quite gotten to know the newer members! Sorry! Lol.

Ah well then you would just need to focus on a breeder that truly loves bunnies and spends a lot of time with them as they are generally more socialized and more likely to enjoy the company if you are looking for a cuddly bun. Other than that, you'll just have to take a chance and go with your gutt feeling and feel which you think is right for you.

Myself, I was attracted to Maybelle because she had attitude from the start. LOL. I knew when she thumped us off and gave the breeder trouble when she was trying to show us the bunnies that I wanted her. :pI certainly got what I asked for, a bit more really! :p

With Crumble, he was totally nervous and not too interested in me when I first met him. He did just freak at first and then just sort of melted in my arms when I held him. Not so much out of comfort but more out of 'Okay, nothing bad is happening right now'. He really wasn't the bun that would come greet us or anything. He wasn't binkying around like the other one either. However, the minute we got home, it's like a switch went off in his brain. I don't know if the other animals told him it was safe or what but he was completely different. He's been cuddly, demanding attention, making a run for it to explore, bonding with the other pets, binkying, doing the bunny500, etc. Not at all what I expected when I met him! Lol.

That's the thing with bunnies, they are full of surprises. :pMost people focus on personalities, but I think they are all so quirky and fun that I often am attracted by looks first and then wham I end up with the crazy whacky and dorky buns and that's just fine by me. :biggrin2:So in the end, if you feel you really like the way holland lops look, go for it. You can encounter all kinds of personalities. You'll feel it when you meet the one you like. It could be the funny lopped ear, the look in their eyes, their thumping at you, etc. You'll just feel it. :)

If you truly want a holland lop, then go to a breeder (because you need intact) that LOVES their breed. Someone who truly LOVES them will do their best to make them people friendly, watch over them healthwise, and make sure they go to the best home or breeder with the same outlook.

When I got my first two, it was because I liked their coloring. Kreacher was very outgoing and curious, but Dobby was very standoffish.

With Neville and Luna, I went more with coloring but looking for the DM gene (Lionhead). I didn't get to see them until I picked them up. Except for Luna who was 3 days old.

4 bunnies, two different breeders, but all turned out sweet and each have their quirky personalities. Basically I did the same with all. Spent time every day, getting them to trust me.

I think I'm trying to say is it's the individual bunny, but all the breeder must really love their bunnies. It's amazing how a bunny, if started out at Day One has contact with humans, how well they turn out.

Now don't get me wrong. I went through trials during puberty (nips, scratches, thumps) but with me working with them every day, it does dissipate. I learned a lot from my first two.

It's a work in progress, but if you have a breeder who LOVES their breed, and you put in 100%, I think you will have an AWESOME relationship with a Holland.

Wishing you all the luck!

K:)

Latest posts

Back