Cone of shame but still making himself bleed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajohns9449

Reaction score
Hey guys! I recently got my rabbit neutered although he had a bad reaction and developed Hematomas. The vet gave me oinment, wipes, antibiotics, and pain medicine. He also has a cone of shame otherwise he would lick his Hematomas and infect them. Although he cannot lick his Hematomas, he tries to all the time and shoves the cone at them making them bleed. The vet said spotting blood is ok but I’m just worried they will never heal because he keeps irritating them with the cone!! Any advice??? Thanks guys!!

Hey guys! I recently got my rabbit neutered although he had a bad reaction and developed Hematomas. The vet gave me oinment, wipes, antibiotics, and pain medicine. He also has a cone of shame otherwise he would lick his Hematomas and infect them. Although he cannot lick his Hematomas, he tries to all the time and shoves the cone at them making them bleed. The vet said spotting blood is ok but I’m just worried they will never heal because he keeps irritating them with the cone!! Any advice??? Thanks guys!!
Oh poor thing hope he gets better soon. There was a thread some time ago people were using old t-shirt or towel for making an alternative to this cone. I can't find this thread but googled the picture
Nougatwithtowelcopy_1copy.jpg

Yeah, maybe try a little doggie shirt or a preemie baby onsie. Might work. A soft e collar might also be an option.

You can also use vet wrap and ditch the cone entirely. It's similar to an ace bandage, but it sticks to itself and is meant to stand up against vigorous chewing. Sometimes vets carry or sell it, pet stores might too. Feed stores almost certainly will. Heck, the Walmart I go to now sells it too... but that's the first time I've seen it there (same for the chicken feed and various other things) - it seems they only carry it in rural areas.

Latest posts

Back