Conditioning rabbits for show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone out there that shows rabbits has any tips on what supplements you use in your rabbits diet or anything you do to get your rabbits in show condition. Also is there anything special you do when your rabbits molt? I currently feed my rabbits pen pals but I'm considering switching to purina.

Any tips would be great!

The ability to finish with good condition is largely influenced by genetics. Diet is a secondary factor. When you feel your rabbit's body, the flesh should feel smooth and firm. The fur itself should be soft, shiny, and even in length. Loose or excess skin, a dull or rough coat, or molting coat is poor condition and would be faulted on the table.

Ideally, the pellets you're feeding should bring out the best in your rabbit's condition. Obviously during molts, their condition will be off a bit. But if the rabbit seems to be constantly molting or constantly in poor flesh or fur condition, you might consider a feed change.

If a rabbit is just coming out of a molt or needs a little push, some people will sprinkle black oil sunflower seeds, oats, or calf manna to the top of the pellets daily for two weeks before a show.

I agree with what Julie says. We personally just stick with one food that does well with both our breeds. Right now we are in the middle of a switch. Originally we were feeding Purina Show and the rabbits did great on it with no complaints until we got a bad bag. Once opening it my mom knew something wasnt right. We switched to a local milled feed but two of my herd bucks stopped eating and were having issues with it and the other rabbits werent excited about it so we are going back to Purina. For my tans I dont have to do anything with them because of their coats. The breeding stock just gets brushed every once in a while. We sometimes will add Black Oil Sunflower Seeds to the feed but not all the time. My moms polish only go to a show if they are in coat and for them we dont need to do anything because they usually arent molting. If we need comments on them we just brush them before the show.

Latest posts

Back