Composting Manure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillrise

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone have any good suggestions for composting rabbit manure. I've always just scattered the contents of the trays over the top of the garden soil, and later was dumping them in a compost bin with grass clippings, but they never really seemed to break down (especially not while scattered on top of the garden, where they'd just dry up into pebbles).

My current method is dumping into a pit in the corner of my garden, but it's just the tray contents and leftover nesting material (straw/fur).

I've thought about worms, but don't know how best to go about that. Would I build a raised bin or does it work better in a pit? If a pit, do I need to line it so the worms stay in it? Do I just use worms I catch in my yard, buy from a fishing supply store or is there a dealer somewhere I can buy them from specifically for composting?

Anyone have any successes they can share?

We didn't have to do anything to attract what's under our rabbit hutch. I guess they saw all the rabbit pellets and realized it was a feast lol! Seriously, grub worms do the trick for us and break our pellets down into some rich looking soil.

Back