...complications?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded

Task Force
Reaction score
My 2yr old Mini Lop was due yesterday, she only had one small baby born in her food bowl, she has more in her I can fell atless 3!

She hasn't made a nest so I had to use some fur from my other does litter for the baby, the baby died :(

Shes just been sitting in her nest box for the past day eating her hay?

I worried:shock:HELP!!

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon :( Just try and stay calm for now, that doesn't sound too good. Was she bred before this litter?

Yes this is her fift litter her last four litters didnt go so well she always has them on the grass and the frez before I find them
this time shes been sitting in her nest box, so im hoping she has the rest in her nest box.

A lot of breeders give a rabbit three strikes, if they can't have a live litter and raise them after three attempts, they retire her. That is something I would really consider with this girly. Especially if this litter does not go right, some rabbits really are just not cut out to be Mothers.

To be honest she would probably do better petted out. I know I have had a couple of nethies like that.
I take it you don't have another doe to foster any babies to as that would be your best bet for any other babies born. I always mate 2 or 3 nethies for that reason.

Also another random thought but over here we don't use wire cages could you get a bit of plyboard to fit over the cage bottom and cover it with something it would perhaps give the babies a slightly better chance

polly wrote:
To be honest she would probably do better petted out. I know I have had a couple of nethies like that.
I take it you don't have another doe to foster any babies to as that would be your best bet for any other babies born. I always mate 2 or 3 nethies for that reason.

Also another random thought but over here we don't use wire cages could you get a bit of plyboard to fit over the cage bottom and cover it with something it would perhaps give the babies a slightly better chance
This is her last litter then ill retire her, the only reason I bred her for was to see if she would actruly look after her babies this time because I was hoping to get atless one litter out of her before I retire her.

My other litter is three week old flemish giants so thats not an option.

I don't use wire cages for my brood does because it worries me about babies falling out of there nest and being born on the wire and frezzing to death.

She has a plastic cage bottom that has small holestwo inchs apart, the holes two small for a baby to fall thru.

If she hasn't had the babies by now they properly dead inside her and if this is the case she will die as well I would rush her to the vet A.S.A.P and really you shouldn't have bred her again going on what you said about her other litters.

just went in and checked on her and no babies yet, bruce ill be taking her to the vet tonight and she would probaly have to stay ther the night to have her babies removed.

Random question Kayla. But do you show in new zealand? Just wondering if you did whether you got to go to one of the shows Phil batty judged?

Also I have found that if she is struggling to birth see if she will have a run in the garden if you have a pen it brings them on

I hope she will be ok for you x

polly wrote:
Random question Kayla. But do you show in new zealand? Just wondering if you did whether you got to go to one of the shows Phil batty judged?

Also I have found that if she is struggling to birth see if she will have a run in the garden if you have a pen it brings them on

I hope she will be ok for you x
Hi yes we show over here, and Phil batty has judge overe he is awesome!:biggrin:

If you haven't you should email him I know when I was talking to him he was saying how he isvtaking frozen sperm over next year for people to help improve their lines :)
I don't know much about lops but he does a lot of winning lol
How is your rabbit doing?

polly wrote:
If you haven't you should email him I know when I was talking to him he was saying how he isvtaking frozen sperm over next year for people to help improve their lines :)
I don't know much about lops but he does a lot of winning lol
How is your rabbit doing?
He came over in may and judged the CCRFA show in Christchurch, some photos here
http://www.vivelly-stud.com/main.html?src=/#4,0

I heard about that frozen sperm thing, there doing that to imporve the mini lop lines over here and because MAF has banned importing rabbits over from the UK and US.

The doe isnt doing good, shes 4 days late and bleeding, the babies are moving.
I'm off to the vet now, we went the other night but they were closed :(

The rabbits at vets they told me to leave her with them until day 36 shes stopped bleeding and is eating like a pig thats a good sign, tomorrow is day 36.

Back