companion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamafern

Reaction score
north vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
i was thinking that my soon to be bunny might behappier with a friend and then i saw an add for a very similar bunnywho needs a home on craigslist this morning..

would 2 neutered male rabbits get along living in a shared home? theyare the same breed i believe (lop) and even silimar colour and age..

one is house trained the other not, but i think that he could learn. hehas been a caged bunny most of his life...where as the other was afamily member and had the run of the house..

any info on companions would be great!

Hi there,

If you have the time to do some serious bonding then there is everychance these two boys could live together. It isnt the ideal pairing upbut i wouldnt say it is impossible.

If you do get them both, you have to be prepared that they may be some fighting, and a chance that the boys will never get on.

But good luck if you do decide to give it a go....and be sure to post pics when you can! :D

so getting a female companion is better? or isthere always a chance that any 2 bunnies just wont get on? maybe isould wait and get used to "rabbit" before i just jump in and get 2..but it seems like it is meant to be!

Female & Male usually get along thebest. But like Bunsterlove said. No pairing isimpossible. I've mentioned in a couple posts of how I cameabout adopting Bandit. He belonged to a friend ofmine. She bought him and his brother at the same time andwere together since birth. But after a little while theystarted fighting, she thought neutering them would help with thefighting..So she neutered the two of them and the fighting stillcontinued. So I adopted Bandit.

I then got Holly, our little Holland Lop and the two of them get alonggreat (Except for right now because Holly is becomming Hormonal andwill be getting spayed very soon)

It isn't impossible for two boys to get along and livetogether. But it does take a lot of work from what I'mtold.

Good Luck

Crystal (Bandit & Holly)

thank you for the reply! there really is much tolearn. "rabbit" the bunny i am getting on thursday is currently livingin a hutch with 2 lionheads..so i know that he is used to other bunniesand seems to get along...but i dont think that i have the energy tobond bunnies right now..i have 2 smallish kids that i have to work atbonding too..so i think that we will stick with one bunny for now.thanks for the info!

Hi again,

I would definetly reccomend you get 2 bunnies rather than just one -unless you will be spending the majority of the day with your singlebun?

Bunnies are so much happier in pairs, i, personally, think having justone bun is cruel - unless of course you can spend a full day with thebunny.

Why dont you get a female bunny instead? there shouldnt be much bondingto do in this kind of pair - especially if he is used to living withother bunnies, and if you get your bunny from a rescue centre theycould be willing to try and bond them for you. :D

bunsterlove1969 wrote:
Bunnies are so much happier in pairs, i, personally, thinkhaving just one bun is cruel - unless of course you can spend a fullday with the bunny.
This isn't always the case. I have one that has hated EVERY other rabbit we have tried to put her with.

Also for someone new to rabbits it may be easier to start with one.

One good idea would be to take your currentbunny friend over to a shelter (call ahead, obviously, hehe) so he canpick who he likes best. The bunny he picks will be a cinch tobond with. :)

Just an idea...

In the end run, male or female or breed doesn't really matter...itcomes down to the bun's personalities. I've seen two bondedmales, two bonded females, same-breed bonded pairs, and opposite breedbonded pairs (such as a large bun bonded with a dwarf bun).So, it's all in personalities. :)

i really like the idea of taking him to choose..i think that i will wait a while till he settles in and see how he is.we are home a lot (95% of the time) so he wont be lonesome or stuck ina cage.. we have a dog (part time anyways) who is very gentle and lovesother animals, so parhaps they can keep achother company.buti definately see more bunnies in our future!

Since you'll be there so much, he won'tnecessarily need another rabbit. But he would probablyappreciate a friend. It would be easiest on both him and youto let him choose a friend at the shelter, or one of the Vancouverrescues such as SARS. Rescues like SARS are also often ableto help you with bonding and that can be a handy bonus.

Its not impossible, our two males get alongfine. We've never had a single fight between them (knock onwood) But they are pretty wierd, they both switchbewteen the dominant and submissive bunny. theyplay in the house together but have seperate cages since they both lketo mount each other from time to time and I cant stop it when I'm notthere....only problem with that is Harley grabs and holds Wrigley furwhen he does it and normally doesnt quit yank it out....then it getinfected underneath which end up with a vet visit....happened twice sofar. But they both climb ineach other cages when they are both open, ect. Noterritory issues...

Guess my buns are the exception o the rule!!!!

Oh...another idea...get him a stuffed toy animalfor a temporary companion! Just be sure to get one that is ababy toy (no hard pieces...stitched eyes and nose).

I got my Flower one a few months ago, and she and Mr. Piggy (what welovingly call him) have truly bonded. They lay together, shebathes him...it's so cute!! :D

Here's a picture:
2ezp8c0.jpg

And her bathing him:
331knlc.jpg

Latest posts

Back