Coming across borders??.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GottaLuvDaBuns

Reaction score
I'm planing on getting another bunny again and have been looking in my area. But there seem to be none that really catch my eye. But there's this one that is in Sherman New York that's really screaming my name. The only problem is that I live on Canada (Burlington). I was wondering if you have any advice in the bunny over border area.....
Anyways, I think she's a Dutch mix and she's so cute!

I know they need a passport and some certain shots.. But any information is helpful!

-GottaLuvDaBuns

Domestic or pet rabbits imported from the United States must be presented to Canada Border Services Agency staff upon entry. The importation of pet rabbits does not require import permits or health certificates. Part XII of the Health of Animals Regulations apply to the transport of all animals; an inspection related to transport without cruelty of animals can be carried out.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals.../pets/rabbits/eng/1331850639367/1331850850188

So no shots, no certificates, nothing special. Less required then bringing your dog or cat across the border.

When heading south I would just say going to go shopping blah blah, the usual.

So what I would do, as always, is when you're coming home, only answer what questions you were asked.
Whered you go?
How long were you gone?
Wheres home?
Value of goods being brought across?
Booze, Tobacco?
HAVE A GOOD DAY!
If they ask if you have anything to declare, then I would mention the rabbit.

Never had an issue bringing an animal across the border, Dogs, cats, fish, reptiles....

I don't like to interrupt them if their asking questions, so if they just ask their typical questions then send you on your way, I wouldn't even mention the rabbit, but if they give you the opportunity, you can. Make sure the rabbit is of coarse healthy looking, you bring a copy of that law printed out, a bill of sale with the owners info and signature and what not. Just a bunch of stuff to cover your butt.
But honestly, in over 20 years we have NEVER been asked for info on our dogs or cats, ive purchased/adopted a few animals in the states and never been asked about them even when they were declared.
You can always look up what border crossing in your area has a vet on site, and what times their there, so if they do decide their having a bad day and want your animal inspected, you're not paying to have the vet travel to the border location your at, because it should all ready be there. I know here of our 5 crossings, theres only 1 the vet is scheduled to be at unless you make an appointment for them to go to another.

Breeders do cross the border with rabbits on a regular basis. Many of them have a car or van full of rabbit and tend to not have many issues. Rabbits don't require vaccinations or other paperwork. Having some sort of bill of sale can help, but isn't needed.
You do need a passport, so make sure all that is in order before you go down.

If asked at the boarder about the rabbit, just say she is a pet that is travelling with you. I would not draw attention to the rabbit, but don't go out of your way to hide it either.

There could be an issue if you have produce or even hay with you, so try to limit what you bring across the boarder. It might not be an issue, so just be prepared to throw it out there is an issue.

Better to be prepared and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Ok so I (human) already have a passport. But the bunny doesn't need one??
But thank you so much! You have no idea what this means to me! :)

-GottaLuvDaBuns

Nope.
As when you would cross any other time, don't say anything stupid and just answer their questions directly haha :)
It would be no different then crossing with your dog or cat. Just you don't need proof of rabies

Latest posts

Back