Color???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloverRabbits

Reaction score
Well my babies are 11 days old now and doing beautifully! I'm terrible with colors, so I was wondering if the two colored are chestnut or something else. To me they look like chestnut (white bellies and light in ears -- no doubt agouti like mom). Dad is pure Florida White w/o papers. Mom is Steel Gray, 1/2 Dutch 1/2 FW. The color obviously came from mom, but can Dutch throw Chestnuts? Hmmm...

They are adorable and healthy either way :D

Pics:

http://rabbitsonline.net/gallery_view.php?user=17250&folderid=none

Thanks!

They are SOOOOOOOOO cute!!!!

I have no clue about the colors though. Sorry ;\

I really hope I come home from work today and there are wiggly babies in her nest!!!!

CloverRabbits wrote:
Well my babies are 11 days old now and doing beautifully! I'm terrible with colors, so I was wondering if the two colored are chestnut or something else. To me they look like chestnut (white bellies and light in ears -- no doubt agouti like mom). Dad is pure Florida White w/o papers. Mom is Steel Gray, 1/2 Dutch 1/2 FW. The color obviously came from mom, but can Dutch throw Chestnuts? Hmmm...

They are adorable and healthy either way :D

Pics:

http://rabbitsonline.net/gallery_view.php?user=17250&folderid=none

Thanks!

Dutch is a pattern I believe. Seen different color dutches, black, brown, gray. So with mixes you can different colors to be thrown.

Cute kits. Wishing you all the luck with them.

K

Just had an epiphany! In the breed of Dutch rabbits, the color "chestnut" is called "gray" instead! So these two could be "chestnut" but for the Dutch breed they would be called grays instead. I think that makes sense... to me anyways :)

The babies are chestnut agouti.

Different breeds call chest. agouti different things, with Dutch rabbits the color is called Grey. (another example is in Flemish Giants the color is called Sandy).

Steel and Grey are two different colors in Dutch Rabbits. Do you have a picture of mom?

Dutch is a breed but there are dutch colored rabbits people also call them Vienna Marked because they come out when Blue Eyed White rabbits are bred.

She is actually Gray. Just looking at the amount of gold or tan color in her hair.

Steel is supposed to be black all over with white or cream colored hair on some of the hair tips. Here is the description of the dutch colors. Seeing both colors in person I would definitely say grey or chestnut agouti. Depending on what you want to call it :)

http://www.dutchrabbit.com/aboutthebreed/aboutthebreed.html

Thank you so much! Just curious, but is the gray color in the dutch breed the only one with banded fur? Haha I am so bad with colors, but I've already learned a lot! I like my REW's... There's no mistaking them :D

If you mean the white that goes around their belly? If so, yes. If you mean each individual hair shaft, then no.

The babies are looking good, no matter what color they end up being! :)

Oh sorry I meant like when you blow into the fur you see its banded, like rings of color. What other colors (just in Dutch) have the bands? Are the bands equivalent to agouti? And thank you so much! They are very fun and Bauer has been such a good mama :)

Yes Gray is the only color in Dutch that has bands in the hair shaft. It is an agouti color and I believe is not recommended breeding with a tort/shaded dutch just like in any other breed

Latest posts

Back